*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329320-Chapter-6
Rated: E · Book · Children's · #941001
3 Pumpkins learn that everything is going to be ok...
#329320 added February 19, 2005 at 2:27pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6
Chapter 6

As the days flew by, and the nights grew shorter, more and more animals passed by the three little pumpkins and the trio learned all the different things they were not. They were not dogs, nor cats. They were not grass, nor trees. They were not insects, mice, nor birds. They even learned that they were not rabbits, frogs, or snakes. However, one thing always evaded them; a secret as to who they were.

Then one night, as the ever-shining sun dipped below the horizon and the truly-shimmering stars came out, the luminescent moon, now fully looking down upon the pumpkins patches, showered the oak’s branches with a shimmering glow. The feat made the little pumpkins look up into the tree with sincere puzzlement for they had never seen a full moon before.

In that moment the darkness parted, withdrawing its nightly grasp for only a second, revealing a lonely silhouetted figure mysteriously looking down at the pumpkins with a curious gaze.

Suddenly the moon was covered by a cloud and darkness rushed in, swallowing the figure, leaving only a pair of gleaming yellow eyes staring down at the little pumpkins. Then the eyes moved…
Silent darkness stretched its hands from the oak and the little pumpkins were afraid.
Hoot!

“What was that?” moaned Toby and Sally, searching for the glowing yellow eyes.

Another beam of moonlight shone down through the thick branches of the oak tree, and as the little pumpkins looked up, trying to find the figure, they saw a massive feathered beast, with large yellow eyes and huge claws.

The sight made the three scream out in fear.

Hoot!

“There is nothing to eat here,” Michael said boldly. “In fact, we are snakes that are hungry…hiss! You better go now, before we come eat you.”

The trio of little pumpkins heard a ruffling of feathers, and then a hooting chuckling sound, before a loud thump landed before them, and glowing yellow eyes opened.

“I am an owl,” the creature hooted, landing next to the little pumpkins. He looked very serious, as owls usually do. “You realize I eat reptiles, don’t you?”

“But---but---is that what a snake is?” asked Michael concerned.

Hoot!

“Yes,” replied the owl, hopping closer.

The owl turned his head all the way around, bringing his large, round eyes directly in front of the three pumpkins.

“We are not food for you,” the little pumpkins cringed, “we are not snakes!”

“Hoot! I know what you are and you are not snakes,” the owl chuckled again. “But, I did scare you though, didn’t I? Hoot!”

“Yes!” the three pumpkins said in unison. “Are you sure you are just scaring us…?”

“Wait!” screamed Sally. “Did you say you know what we are?”

Now anyone that knows anything about owls knows that they are the wisest of all farmland creatures, wiser then even Mother Vine. Some say they might even be wiser then the legendary elephants that roam Africa.

And so---the owl began to explain to the little pumpkins who they were…

“You are pumpkins,” began the owl. “You are plants that grow from the ground. Thus, you are not animals that roam the farm. You are not brown, nor green, nor black. You are a brightly colored orange color! You are round as can be, and in some cases plump, and in other cases narrow.”

“We are brightly-round orange plants!” the little pumpkins sang with glee, “what more do you know, Mr. Owl?’

Hoot! The owl paused for a moment, and then continued. “Plants such as you have seeds inside you, which will turn into more pumpkins when they are planted next year,” he explained. “Then, in the autumn, when the leaves on our old oak tree turn yellow and fall to the ground, pumpkins are picked by humans who use you to make pies and decorations.”

“We do all that?” Sally asked with joy.

“And more!” said the owl sincerely.

“You even have a special purpose,” he explained, “to be Jack-O-Lanterns for Halloween. You know what Halloween is right? It is a special holiday for human children just like you! So---you see---you have a very important job! Yes indeed! It is your destiny to bring great joy throughout the land.”

“Wow,” said Toby and Michael in awe. “It is so good to know we have a purpose, that we will be loved!”

Hoot!

“Now, if you three will excuse me, I am hungry, and must go find my kind of food,” said the owl flapping his great feathered wings. With a grunt the owl jumped into the air. “Goodbye little pumpkins,” he said as he flew into the dark of the night, wings beating and voice screeching.

Hoot!

The three little pumpkins watched the owl go with awe. It had been a wonderful night. They each started shaking their still-green pumpkin vine.

“Now we know who we are and why we are here,” sang Michael.

“We are pumpkins! We are orange, not green, or black, or brown! We are plants and not animals. We have seeds that will grow to be new pumpkins! We are valued by humans, to be pies and decorations, and most importantly, we can be Jack-O-Lanterns for Halloween!”

In the rich soil, under the luminescent moon, with the shimmering-stars shining bright, the little pumpkins finally learned who they were. They were brightly-orange plants, pumpkins to be exact. They were not anything else. They brought joy to all the children of the land. It felt good to be loved.

It felt so good, the little pumpkins sang and sang, happy at knowing who they were. They felt safe and secure and fell fast asleep under the old oak tree with the stars and moon shining down upon them.
© Copyright 2005 Silverhand (UN: areck at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Silverhand has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329320-Chapter-6