*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329322-Chapter-8
Rated: E · Book · Children's · #941001
3 Pumpkins learn that everything is going to be ok...
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#329322 added February 19, 2005 at 2:31pm
Restrictions: None
Chapter 8
Chapter 8

Several more weeks went by, and Mother Vine wilted back into the earth, leaving the three little pumpkins all alone in the pumpkin-world of Farmer Jack. However, as the vines decayed a new view of the patches opened up, one where countless pumpkins could be seen in the distance, all protected by a Mighty Scarecrow.

Thus, after meeting several different friends, learning who they were, their purpose, and not to judge a book by its cover, the three little pumpkins heard a strange noise coming from the sky. At first the noise seemed distant, but as time went on, it drew closer to the little pumpkins coming from less than a pumpkin patch away.

Suddenly, Michael was startled to see a trio of beady-eyes hopping up and down, making odd noises, and moving closer to the little pumpkins. He wanted to say something but decided that it wasn’t a good idea to bring attention to them. He even thought that it looked like the eyes were scared of the Mighty Scarecrow who was protecting its pumpkin patch.

“Hey you!” Michael called out, doing his best not to be afraid. In the early morning light, he drew the attention of the creature, who was all black, even its beak, feet, and eyes. He was sure it cast an eerie feeling all through his soul.

“Caw!” said one of the creatures, who were now ruffling their feathers in might. “What do you want?”

“We are pumpkins,” said Jack, “plants that humans use to make pies and jack-o-lanterns, what are you?”

“Why, we are crows,” said the leader, a large bird, who looked quite menacing, and was hopping closer. “We are birds that fly in the air, looking for food that farmers grow. We are birds that eat plants, juicy veggies or plump…”

“Then why are you running towards us,” said Sally, who remembered learning that her and her brothers were plants. “There are so many plants all over the place---none here!”

“Caw, because farmers always use a Mighty Scarecrow to protect their farms,” explained the crows, smiling evilly at the pumpkins. “However, there isn’t one here, is there. You three little pumpkins are all alone and without protection. Caw!”

Toby whispered something to Michael, who opened his eyes in fear.

With a quick movement all three crows hopped right up to the little pumpkins and begin shrieking loudly in the air. They sniffed the air, and pawed the ground.

The little pumpkins knew they had finally met an animal that ate plants like them.

Michael whispered to Toby and Sally to stay calm that everything was okay. He told them that they were family and would protect each other from any danger. He told them to close their eyes, and Mother Vine and a Mighty Scarecrow would protect them.

Suddenly, the crows stopped shrieking, moving right next to the little pumpkins.

Caw!

Then the leader of the crows spoke, looking directly at Sally. “I am hungry; how about you guys?”

“Please, Mr. Crows, you can’t eat us!” yelled the three pumpkins defiantly. “We don’t---won’t---taste good---we promise! Get away from us!” But the crows crept closer, their heads darting from side to side.

“Leave us alone!” the little pumpkins yelled again, getting as close as possible.

“There is no one here that will protect you little pumpkins!” The crows looked at each other, and began laughing. “Prepare to be my food…!”

The little pumpkins closed their eyes. At least they knew who they were now, and that they were valued. If only a Mighty Scarecrow was here to save them.

All of a sudden, a loud thumping sound began to shake the ground. The little pumpkins could hear another voice screaming, “Shoo! Shoo!”

It was getting closer and closer, louder and louder. The crows jumped around in fright, beating their wings in bravado. At the last moment the leading crow shouted to his fellows. “It’s that dang Farmer Smith coming to protect his pumpkins! Let’s get out of here! Caw!”

As quickly as they had landed, the crows sprang into the air and flew off into the sky, making loud cawing sounds as they went.

Just then, the green-thumbed farmer arrived, raising his hands to the air, and shouting at the crows.

“These are my pumpkins you fiends!” he roared. “I plant them! I raise them! I care for them! Do not come and take away the joy that they will bring!”

The three little pumpkins held their eyes shut as they listened to Farmer Smith yell at the sky, protecting them from being food for crows. It lasted for a few minutes.

Then, there was silence.

As the little pumpkins looked they saw the oddest thing. Farmer Jack was no longer looking at the sky, but was knelt next to them, admiring the pumpkin beauty. They realized at that moment that they were cherished, and that they were loved, and, most of all, that everything would be ok.

As the little pumpkins closed their eyes, they finally learned who they were meant to be, for Farmer Jack picked them up with care. “You three, my beautifully orange pumpkins, are to be the little pumpkins this year. You will be the ones who greet all the children. Now sleep my little pumpkins, and know that everything will be well.”

In the rich soil, under the ever-shining sun, held by the green-thumbed farmer, the three little pumpkins were very happy. They knew who they were, what they were going to be, that somebody cared about them, and others counted on them. They had pride in being good pumpkins. They didn’t have to be afraid any more, and that was enough! It was then that they hoped everyone else knew the joy that they would.

The End.
© Copyright 2005 Silverhand (UN: areck at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Silverhand has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/329322-Chapter-8