*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/344219-Vitamin-Clerk-for-Hire
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #942302
Sunflower's Blog
#344219 added April 29, 2005 at 2:35pm
Restrictions: None
Vitamin Clerk for Hire
Well, with finances being the way they are at my house, I came to the conclusion that a part-time income could make my life much easier. I don't want to be so involved in work that my writing time gets taken away. I'm not giving up dreams of being a published writer. I'm merely succombing to the obvious solution to financial problems

The GNC close to the Tom Thumb I frequent had a "help wanted" sign on the door. I thought about it last night after I saw the sign. I was dropping off a prescription near there today, so I went inside.

A nice, short, young man, dressed in black pants and a red polo shirt, asked if he could help me find something. He said he's going to another store soon, and said the manager was looking for part and full time help. It sounds like there may be several openings. I do have experience using a register, but it's been many years. I'm trainable, if I haven't just taken all my meds. My new doctor told me to take all my meds before I go to bed. If I can wake up without a med hangover, my bipolar disorder shouldn't keep me from employment.

The GNC never seems to have many customers, so I don't see this as a high stress job. I have enough vitamin self-study behind me that I wouldn't feel uncomfortable or uneducated about which vitamins are supposed to do what.

The stores in the strip center seem to not have many customers, and I might worry about getting robbed. I guess I should just ask the employer what they'd want me to do in that case, and their preventative measures, and it shouldn't be a problem to lose sleep over. I wouldn't want to get shot for minimum wage, as I suppose that's all it pays. I said I could work 20-30 hours per week.

It seems like jobs are more difficult to get than they used to be. I have a few young friends, just out of high school, and they haven't had much success. One of them is in a whirl over looking for an employer who doesn't test for drugs or do a background check. He wasn't ever very motivated, but he's filled out lots of applications. 19 and not employed yet. I was offered a job at Starbuck's when he applied there. Too fast for me. Him too. I need to work at a slower pace, but I can be trusted to be responsible. I'm not one to pilfer from a job.

So the manager will be in all day tomorrow--Saturday. I'll do some checking on the company on the Internet, get my head geared into a good self-image presentation, and get up and at 'em before the sun hits its height in the sky on the last day of April, 2005.

All prayers and wishes for luck gratefully accepted!
© Copyright 2005 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/344219-Vitamin-Clerk-for-Hire