*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360419-Surgery
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #976801
Journal writings about my youngest son's journey with spina bifida
#360419 added July 17, 2005 at 4:27pm
Restrictions: None
Surgery
There are no rules that tell you what to do when your newborn has surgery. No etiquette guidebook that explains how to fill your time.

The nurses told us where the OR waiting room was and that our name would be called when surgery was over. The surgeon would come and tell us how everything went. They said we probably had a minimum of an hour and a half, possibly more.

So, we wandered, blankly, down the hall to the OR waiting room and stood outside it. There were benches outside it, too. I asked my husband if he thought we should go in. He said we could do whatever I wanted. Going into the room seemed too concrete for me at that moment, so we sat on the benches outside and watched the people around us. I wondered if anyone else had a baby in the OR. I wondered if anyone else's surgery seemed as serious as Jack's. I wondered why this was happening to us.

After a while, we went into the waiting room and I tried to leaf through a magazine. My brother came. He showed up, tall and unexpected, to sit with us and be there for Jack.

We sat together and then they called our name. My husband and I got up and looked at my brother. It gave us a minute to get ourselves ready and then we walked out the door.

© Copyright 2005 momoffour (UN: momoffour at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
momoffour has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/360419-Surgery