*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372296-091105---Alone-With-You
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
#372296 added September 11, 2005 at 9:36pm
Restrictions: None
09/11/05 - Alone With You
Alone With You
By: Robert Watson



I walk swiftly up the gravel path over the hill, searching for you in the early morning fog. The temperature is normal for this time of the year, but I am wearing only a t-shirt and a pair shorts. The shirt I am wearing is a special one; it reads "America’s Bravest" and below the caption is a picture of Engine #11. It used to be yours.

As I approach the spot where I know you’ll be waiting for me, my heart pounds loudly and lodges itself in my throat. I can hardly breathe. In fact, I realize I haven’t the slightest clue when I last took a breath. I inhale deeply and then exhale, vapor billowing out from my parted lips and into the chilly world.

After what seems like an eternity, I have reached my destination. The spot. A bird chirps a morning song to me just as I am kneeling down on the ground, and for a minute I think it is a greeting from you. I quickly push the thought out of my mind.

"Hi, dad," I whisper, my voice wavering. I don’t really know what to say. "It’s been awhile since I’ve talked to you. Mom and I are doing fine now."

A single tear rolls down my cheek and drops onto the flat gravestone in front of me. I wipe my eyes with the back of my hand.

"It’s been four long years. Every day, I think of you. Everyday. Every day, I ask myself ‘What if?’. I’ll never forget you, dad." I pause, then add, "For as long as I live, you will always be my hero."

The tears are falling freely now, uncontrollably. Unable to speak anymore, I lay my head on the gravestone, alone with you.

Words: 295
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/372296-091105---Alone-With-You