*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/375141-092405---Raging-Downstream
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1010229
A collection of my flash fiction. Most was written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge.
#375141 added September 24, 2005 at 9:53pm
Restrictions: None
09/24/05 - Raging Downstream
Raging Downstream
By: Robert Watson



It all happened so quickly that 12-year-old Matthew Rice had only seconds to react. He was following the dirt path through the park on his way to school when he heard the splash and cries for help.

A man had been crossing the old bridge when he suddenly slipped and fell into the river. He was now waving his arms up and down wildly while being swept downstream and pulled under by the strong current.

Matthew spun around to see if anybody was near, but the park was deserted. He swung off his backpack and raced to the river. He wasn’t the best swimmer, but he knew he was the man’s only hope. He waded in and for a split-second stood there in shock, the water chilling him to his bones. With a powerful kick, he shot off towards the drowning man.

Matthew reached the man easily, but the man was fighting for his life by now; he ripped and clawed at Matthew’s outstretched arm like a predator, pulling Matthew under more than once and leaving him gasping for air.

"You’re going to be okay," he managed to shout out. "Just grab on and I’ll take you to shore."

Gradually, Matthew progressed across the water with the man hanging on like a leech. Finally, Matthew’s feet touched bottom and he led the man the rest of the way to the grass where they both collapsed.

"You saved my life," he choked, coughing up water. "I don’t have anything to give you. I owe you my life. What is your name, son?"

"Matthew," he replied, shivering. "How about I walk you to my house? We have some clothes that might fit you. You need to get out of these before you freeze."

Words: 291
Date: 09/24/05
© Copyright 2005 Robert Watson (UN: jsbulldog89 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Robert Watson has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/375141-092405---Raging-Downstream