*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/378078-Twenty-Four-Hours
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #976801
Journal writings about my youngest son's journey with spina bifida
#378078 added October 8, 2005 at 3:50pm
Restrictions: None
Twenty-Four Hours
Jack had to stay flat on his back for 24 hours after the surgery. This would keep the pressure off the incision and the bottom of his spinal cord. He was on morphine the whole night, which pretty much knocked him out, so we simply sat by his crib in the tiny hospital room and watched him. Whenever he would wake up and begin to stir, we would gently put pressure on his chest with our hand and whisper soothingly to him until he fell back asleep.

Amazingly, he looked good. He was pink and rosy, although groggy. He had an IV in his hand and in his foot, as well as a pulse ox electrode attached to his big toe, which measured his heart rate and oxygen content. But he was snuggled under his soft, fleece, truck blanket and more often than not, he sighed contentedly in his sleep.

The next morning, they told us that by noon we would be able to hold him. The sweetest pleasure.

© Copyright 2005 momoffour (UN: momoffour at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
momoffour has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/378078-Twenty-Four-Hours