*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/378084-Going-Home
Rated: E · Book · Emotional · #976801
Journal writings about my youngest son's journey with spina bifida
#378084 added October 8, 2005 at 4:16pm
Restrictions: None
Going Home
Two and a half days after Jack was admitted to the hospital for surgery on his spinal cord, they sent him home. He had a four inch long incision on his tiny baby back and a drain still in. A drain collects the liquid that occurs as the wound heals. A tube was inserted into his back, under his skin, at the incision site, and stitched into place. The tube was connected to a bulb that collected the liquid so the amount of drainage could be measured. It was a little scary to be in charge of changing the dressings on this angry-looking scar and this tube coming directly out of his back. It was a lot scary when the nurses gave us a list of "things to watch for," that could signal an infection of his spinal cord. Jack came home from the hospital with no restrictions on his activity, except to be a little careful. Home to a two year old brother, a four year old sister, and an eight year old sister. Careful? With four young children in the house? That was like asking for a miracle. Then again, we already had one.

We took Jack home and made our family whole.

© Copyright 2005 momoffour (UN: momoffour at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
momoffour has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/378084-Going-Home