*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380185-March-30-2005-kiwiangel
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
March 30, 2005: kiwiangel

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

*Reading* Welcome to the Noticing Newbies Newsletter! *Reading*


Our goal is to showcase some of our newest Writing.Com Authors and their items. From poetry and stories to creative polls and interactives, we'll bring you a wide variety of items to enjoy. We will also feature "how to" advice and items that will help to jump start the creation process on Writing.com

We hope all members of the site will take the time to read, rate, review and welcome our new authors. By introducing ourselves, reviewing items and reaching out, we will not only make them feel at home within our community, we just might make new friends!

Your host this week is: Puditat
Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

noticing newbies - newsletter header


Getting Known - Guestbooks


We, your editors, have talked at length about how to get reviewed. We will continue to do so, but I want to just focus today, on one aspect which is related.

An actor would not expect to show up for the finale of a play to take bouquets and accolades with the performers who acted throughout the piece. No. They know that first they must audition, practice, memorise lines, rehearse, show up for costume fittings, and then consistently perform a role to an acceptable standard. You would expect no less from any member of a cast (or team!).

Well, the same is true of a writing community. If you are here to write, then write, fill your portfolio with delicious examples of your talent. But this is not enough. You will receive some reviews, maybe more than a few, but to be a noticed individual within this community, you need to play your part. You need to provide a presence within Writing.com.

How do you do this? It means visiting other people's work, reading and reviewing; participating in forums, in and outs, surveys, polls...you name it, do it.

A number of members have guestbooks within their portfolios. When you visit a portfolio, check to see if there is one. If there is one, leave a message, saying 'hi' or what you enjoyed most about your visit to the port. Review the guestbook as well as at least one other item in the person's port. You are going to be noticed!

A little tip too - when posting in a message forum, tick the box to receive notification of when a reply is posted to your message. That way you won't miss any friendly replies. *Smile*

If you have a Basic Membership or above, why not create your own guestbook. Dress it up with emoticons (or images if you have an Upgraded Membership) for a friendly, colourful and inviting welcome.

Now I am off to take some of my own advice and create my very own guestbook. *Wink* If you come to visit, I guarantee one review (of my choice) for every person who posts a message to me!

Thanks for reading.
Puditat



Editor's Picks

My hand-picked selections for your enjoyment:

The Covered Bridge--April, 1927  (E)
Changes.....
#944947 by fyn


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#951557 by Not Available.


 Ethereal Remembrances  (E)
ghostly memories
#952498 by Sara


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#952453 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#951962 by Not Available.


 The Age of Innocence  (ASR)
Two young raccoons go exploring and learn a lesson in life that they will never forget
#951053 by Bruce


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#952616 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#952668 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#952611 by Not Available.


Get known:

A few portfolios you could check out (all have a guestbook). I have chosen ones to show different ways of presentation and style. Enjoy!

Plenty of space to say "Hi."
VB is catching up
"Invalid Item :

Very nice
*Mel*
"Invalid Item :

A feline, how could I go past this one *Wink*
kittiara
"Guestbook of a Strange Feline 13+: Please leave a message after the meow...

And mine!
Puditat
"Invalid Item :


 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

Puditat,
I use the Power Search quite often. It's a great tool, especially if you are concentrating on a specific genre or keyword to write something up (like a newsletter!). It's really quite handy. I'm glad you pointed out that now it's available to all members. What a great resource! This was a good topic to cover... Nice work!
Cubby ")
Cubby

Thanks Cubby. *Bigsmile* Power Search is extremely helpful when writing a newsletter. *Wink*

Nice job. Vocab A+ + GREAT! Explan on the new SEARCH w/ thanks Teff aka T.Teffom
April Sunday

Thank you Teff, I appreciate the response. *Smile*

I have just recently started writing poems, but nobody has given me any feedback on the poem I submitted. How do I get people to read my work? I don't want you to feel like you have to, but could you either read my poem called People or tell someone about it? This newsletter is really cool. Thank you for writing it!
-Max
In my last respose I forgot to ask something, so I thought I would write again. Do you know of any contests for poetry? If you do could you tell me about it and the guide lines for the poetry I could submit to it. Thank you!
-Max
Max

Hi Max. Just use those Power Search capabilities to find some poetry contests. There are numerous on the site. Or, for a quick list of contests, go to the pull down menu (up the top, left hand side), labelled "Item Jumps" Click on "Contest Listings" and you'll get a list. You should easily spot those which are specifically for poetry. *Star*

Hi Puditat, Once again a very helpful and interesting NL. I also wanted to tell you that I enjoyed reading the Newbies' pieces which you picked out. I read all of them. Take care Anto *Heart*
AuntyNelly

Thank you, very much. *Bigsmile*

Great newsletter. Thanks for including one of my pieces as an example.
Megaroonie
megsie2584

You are most welcome! *Smile*
 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm | Modified: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380185-March-30-2005-kiwiangel