*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380186-April-6-2005-laurencia
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
Print Tell A Friend
Item #649466
April 6, 2005: laurencia

Newsletter Header
Noticing Newbies


Table of Contents

1. About this Newsletter
2. A Word from our Sponsor
3. Letter from the Editor
4. Editor's Picks
5. A Word from Writing.Com
6. Ask & Answer
7. Removal instructions

About This Newsletter

Noticing Newbies Newsletter is geared to help new members get acquainted with Writing.com -- there is so much do and all the features can be overwhelming! Our goal is to help new members make their time here more fun and manageable. Each week we will showcase new authors items (poetry, short story, polls, etc.). Exposure for each member's writing will help bring more rates and reviews for their work, and by bringing more member interaction to the member, that will give them the opportunity to build friendships with other members, as long as they reciprocate reviews and conversation -- remember, it is a two way street.


"There's someone that you haven't already met, go introduce yourself to him or her. Walls and labels can't keep you from the people who are so similar to you in spirit. There's a friendly face behind every door if you pick the right moment to knock. Once you start your wave of creative outreach, it turns into a contagious force. People are waking up and smiling at each other, sharing their dreams without hesitation. This community is worth something."

-- Author Unknown

Word from our sponsor


Passionate about writing?
Take your passion to new heights - with an online Master of Fine Arts in
Creative Writing
, available only from top ranked National University. Choose
workshops based on your interests. Work with experienced and published faculty.
Prepare for a variety of career opportunities. Use a state-of-the art online system:
Study where and when you want.
Click here to get more information!


Letter from the editor

Hello Newbies!

I hope many of you are enjoying the wonderful spring weather. Us Mainers are still thawing out, and many getting flooded out...thank goodness I'm not in the flooded crowd, because there would be hundreds of turds floating around, produced by my two sheepdogs, which recently appeared from the melted snowbanks...lovely site that would be. Most of the snow has melted in my yard, so I actually raked the lawn today, and the turds, put some mulch around the boarders. AND, I have some daffodils and tulips ready to bloom...very exciting.

Well, enough weather and let's talk about something useful. A good topic to talk about is advertising your work. Writing.com offers a self service advertising system that is absolutely great! I use it all the time. It is a heck of a lot cheaper than going elsewhere to advertise your work, and you manage the cost and time you want your item advertised. Simple to use too! I highly recommend promoting your work, it is well worth it for the instant exposure and reviews.

When I first used the BidClick System, I advertised my poetry and then gradually it worked up to sponsoring forums, such as "Invalid Item and "Invalid Item. I just love it! Now that I've been here for almost four years, and many members know who I am and what contests I host, I still sponsor certain items for one main reason, to attract new members who don't know who I am and otherwise would not visit my port.

So, if you haven't tried the BidClick System, I highly recommend it. The following link explains different locations around the site to advertise your item, how much it costs (purchase of gift points), etc.:

 The Writing.Com BidClick System  (E)
Instructions and examples for the Writing.Com BidClick System.
#175621 by The StoryMistress


Until next time...
** Image ID #693142 Unavailable **

Editor's Picks

*Star* Monthly featured newbies I have personally chosen for your enjoyment: *Star*


 Flashbulbs  (18+)
A photographer struggles with depression, treating life like a twisted, social expiriment.
#951795 by Dillon


 The Solomon Chronicles (c)  (13+)
A man who is destined to become an immortal warrior protecting a secret as old as time.
#928631 by D.R. Pedraza


Hide And Seek: The Child  (13+)
I am hiding. I like here, where it is warm and safe.
#939352 by Areida is a Pita


 Solemn Candor  (E)
Something lost when growing up.
#949041 by Reason


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#956819 by Not Available.



NEWBIE & SPRING CONTESTS:


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#741336 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#947228 by Not Available.


 
FORUM
April Folly SLAM  (18+)
Bad Poetry SLAM with BIG PRIZES still possible in May!!
#950643 by Katya the Poet


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#952262 by Not Available.


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#862303 by Not Available.

 
Submit an item for consideration in this newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Word from Writing.Com

Have an opinion on what you've read here today? Then send the Editor feedback! Find an item that you think would be perfect for showcasing here? Submit it for consideration in the newsletter!
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Don't forget to support our sponsor!
%%NL_AD_BOT%%

Ask & Answer

Cubby
I enjoyed the added quotes, Laurencia! Thanks for sharing. Also, great newsletter on reviewing.
Cubby *Smile*

Thank Cubby Bear!


auterpauvre
Many newbies I've taken the time to read, rate and review seem unappreciative, pretentious and often downright rude. I suggest to new members: Always be courteous, never pretend to be something you're not, accept criticism graciously and Please set your bio-block!
Also, be careful what you say in response to reviews. You never know exactly who your communicating with. This can apply to everyone.

Yes, this definitely can apply to everyone, thanks!


sel21
Hello!
I have been meaning to write here and let you know that Writing.Com is great about making new arrivals feel welcome. You have really helped me a lot with motivation and encouragement. Thanks so much for featuring Released a few issues ago. The Noticing Newbies forum and newsletters are what kept me coming back.

Cheers,
Selene

I'm so glad to hear you feel welcomed...it lets us know that what we try to do for the new members is working. Thanks!


PastVoices
Laurencia,

Another wonderful newsletter! There can never, ever be enough written on the reviewing process! Even us oldies benefit from this newsletter. Besides, you always give me another crop of newbies to look at.

I am still behind on my NL reading, however, I am getting to current feedback immediately!

Thanks again,
PastVoices rejoicing (28)

And there is not enough written on the individual reviewer either! *smile*


Puditat
Laurencia a beautiful editorial speaking on the "intent" of a review, highlighting the overall effect of a piece. Something that we can often forget. I really enjoyed your wonderful words and the great quotes you used too.


Thank you puddin'!


Next week's editor is: Puditat

See you May 4, 2005!

laurencia 
Have a question or comment for the Editor?
http://www.Writing.Com/main/newsletters.php?action=nli_form

Removal Instructions

To stop receiving this newsletter, go into your account and remove the check from the box beside the specific topic. Be sure to click "Complete Edit" or it will not save your changes.

Maintained by The StoryMistress   
Created: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm | Modified: 10-18-05 @ 3:49pm      

Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/380186-April-6-2005-laurencia