*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/382342-Five-Senses
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#382342 added October 28, 2005 at 2:08pm
Restrictions: None
Five Senses
I neglect the fives senses (1) sight, (2) sound, (3) smell, (4) touch, and (5) taste in my descriptions. I need to add them the make the descriptions more vivid. Until I read the latest short stories newsletter, I didn't think they were that important especially the sense of smell. In fact when I review I never looked for this type of descriptions that describe anything other than sight. However, adding any of these senses to a description enhances the description and adds to the reader's enjoyment.

I am going to add more of the fives senses to my descriptions and when reviewing I am going to look for description that use any of those senses.

There are some things that are difficult to describe, but by using the five senses to describe unknown or imagined objects and creatures it would make them appear a bit more real. The writer wants the reader to feel that the creatures being described actually exist. By using the five senses in descriptions of places, character's and objects makes those things real and gives them dimension. It should be interesting to see how this works out.

Maybe I need to start noticing a how things smell, as well as look. I have a cold right now, which makes scent a problem. When I have a cold the only items that I can smell have strong scents.

© Copyright 2005 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/382342-Five-Senses