*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388758-Nugget-of-wisdom
Rated: 18+ · Book · Biographical · #1031855
Closed for business, but be sure to check out my new place!
#388758 added November 27, 2005 at 5:02pm
Restrictions: None
Nugget of wisdom
In going through my Disciple lesson for yesterday (yeah, I know, I'm procrastinating again) I found this little nugget: "Moses had warned, 'Take care that you do not forget the LORD your God . . . when you have eaten your fill and have built fine houses and live in them, and when your herds and flocks have multiplied, and your silver and gold is multiplied . . . Do not say to yourself "My power and the might of my own hand have gotten me this wealth."' (Deuteronomy 8:11-17)"

I have found myself at times feeling very far from God, not because my life has taken a turn for the worse, but for the better. I have everything I need and much of what I want. During these easy times, I have more than once thought to myself (and yes, even bragged to others), "Look at all I've accomplished in my life, in my job, whatever. See my new car, isn't it great? Oh, and did I tell you we bought a new stove?"

Sound trite and shallow to you, even arrogant? Well, you're not the only one. I'm glad God reminds me of this by showing me Scripture like the one I noted above. It reminds me that God is responsible for the good things in my life. For whatever reason He has showered me with blessings, to not give Him credit is insulting to Him.

How easy it is to turn to Him when times are rough, and even easy to praise Him when things become better.

But that time of praise is short-lived if my life continues to be good. Just like Moses warned the Hebrews after escaping Egypt, it's so easy to think my life has become easy by my own sweat, tears and hard work.

Who but God gives us the intelligence, the use of our hands and the will to accomplish the things that we do to make our lives better?

After all, one single tragedy, whether it be a death, car crash or house fire, just to name a few, can change everything. To not have my focus on God, and praise Him in everything will only shatter my fragile faith when (not if, but when) my life takes a turn for the worse.

© Copyright 2005 vivacious (UN: amarq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
vivacious has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/388758-Nugget-of-wisdom