*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399237-Just-Another-Friday
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#399237 added January 13, 2006 at 11:57pm
Restrictions: None
Just Another Friday
The sun was beginning to set before I heard that today was Friday the thirteenth. I'm glad about that. I'm not particularly superstitious, at least not that way. I have a very guilty conscience, and a legal business matter to attend to ASAP. It's been ASAP time for awhile, and if I happen to get pulled over while driving my car, the police will probably take me to jail. Yikes!

I got a notice in mid-December that I owed the judge on St. Francis Avenue about $250.00. Since the amount was outstanding for some time, the judge's office officially warned me that if I didn't pay, a warrant would be issued for my arrest. I can't change the address on my driver's license, because the warrant will show up on their computers. It's not that I'm dodging it.

It's a pain to go to a court house and stand in line to wait to take care of your business. I know the line will be shorter if I go early in the day. I've been with plumbers and gas men waiting to get the gas leak in the house fixed several days this week. That's another story. Repair and replace for the gas problem took a few days. Then I think I slept in a few days.

It's taken me a month of procrastinating about getting this dumb fine taken care of, finally finding the information on the Internet, and actually going to the office at the court house, taking a number, and being prepared to wait for 40 people to go ahead of me. The room was full of wild children and germs, and my mom was with me, so I suggested I take care of it at a later time. That was a week ago.

I tried to pay over the Internet, but they only take credit cards, and not checks electronically. My credit card balance should have been low enough that the ticket should have been paid. For some reason the credit didn't go through, so here I am mid-January with a warrant certainly on the books by now.

The original ticket was given to me by a constable in about October. My inspection sticker had been expired for over six months, so there was a definite fine attached to my infraction. I blame it on my dyslexia, and the fact that I don't have a guy looking out for my car these days. I just wasn't paying attention, so now I have to pay $250.00.

That needs to be the first thing on my list for Tuesday morning. You see, it's not my fault that Monday is a holiday for Dr. Martin Luther King, and the city offices will be closed.

I'm just really kicking myself for procrastinating on something so important, and concerned about my driving when I'm out and about, doing errands and such. I don't want to go to jail. Mom would just die!!! I wouldn't be too happy about it either. I've not been locked up yet, and hope to never be locked up. I don't have the kind of personality that would fit right in, or so I've been told.

So with a virtual warrant over my head, I plan to spend the weekend unpacking boxes, and feeling more comfortable in my new home as things find their new places. This unpacking boxes business could go on forever. That's okay--it's a very pleasant pass time.
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399237-Just-Another-Friday