*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399682-Associations-and-Magazine-Writing
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#399682 added January 15, 2006 at 11:15pm
Restrictions: None
Associations and Magazine Writing
In my research, I used three search engines, and came up with a couple of dozen writing associations in my vicinity. With the new year, it would be nice to do something to secure my place as a professional writer. Membership in an association would do that, plus offer many other opportunities like workshops and visits from publishing companies, or so the ads say.

I saved all my research about this on my desktop, and hope to look in to the possibilities within the next few weeks. One organization's membership fee was $90.00. For that much they better do a lot of things proactively.

I dropped an e-mail to the Writer's Garrett too. It's close to my part of town, and I've heard of their goings-on for several years. I asked for information on their tutoring program, so I'll probably get some info on volunteering soon. They have workshops and public readings that I'd like to get involved in. I feel like I've reached a plateau of some sort, and would like to have the guts and experience to read in front of the public. That's another goal that's planted in a folder on the desktop, and to be dealt with later.

I've been in my new house for less than a month. My house is liveable, but not very unpacked. There are still lots of boxes to be unpacked, and I'm acting like I've got all the time in the world to get the job finished. I've unpacked most of the items I need on a daily basis. Next, I'm on the lookout for the sugar bowl. I have sugar in the package, but haven't run across the bowl yet.

About two weeks ago, I had some guys help me move boxes around so that the kitchen boxes would come in next, being parked on the patio next to the sliding glass door. I'm tempting fate to rain on my boxes, but we're in the big middle of a drought. I've gone from having 23 boxes to bring in to having only about six left.

I'm having trouble getting motivated. I want to put the dishes the logical place they go from being used, if you know what I mean. I don't cook a lot, but the kitchen and cabinet space are so large that I expect I'll do more real cooking than frozen dinner warming eventually. Got to get organized. I let some hamburger meat go too far past its date in the refrigerator, so I cooked it on the bar-be-cue for the dogs last night. It didn't smell right when it hit the fire, but the dogs didn't complain unless their tummies do later on. So far no problem has shown up in the yard. With two big dogs, and limited grass area, I've been better about picking up after them regularly.

Princess Emily, the baby kitty, is the center of concern these days. She was the outside kitty at the old house, and she's not adjusted to the moved well. First she took up residency in the old sofa, where she had hidden when she had her kittens a few years ago. I was putting her food and water behind the couch, where she could eat without the German Shepherd annoying her. Despite my trials at making her feel more at home, two days in a row she came out of hiding just long enough to pee on the my new/Mom's old barrel chair. My mom just parted with it and let me have it. I could have just died! How do cats know to pick the special things to urinate on? Ended up getting the upholstery cleaned on the chair. At least Mom took it as if Emily didn't know what she was doing--expressing her anger. I had a beautiful long hared white cat that had a bad case of that attitude. Emily's angst just comes out sometimes. Mom loves my dogs, but she's never had a cat (without me) to totally understand how they think.

Now Emily's taken up residence in my clothes closet, in the bedroom rather than in the sofa in the den. She has a bedspread to lay on, several boxes to hide between, and now she gets her food and water delivered, and newly dedicated litter box attended to several times a day. She's in a state of semi-hibernation. I reach in past the hanging clothes to pet her, and she's always curled up in a ball sleeping. She emits one little "mew," and that's it. I hope time will bring her out of herself.

She and the German Shepherd have played before, and I thought they had things worked out after three years. Now "Shadow" woofs, and "Emily" runs like a monster is after her. She's only ventured from the closet far enough to call the blue recliner her part time home. She hides under it mostly, but I've seen her on top once. She's so confused. Her world turned strange overnight.

It's just taking her so long to get accustomed to her new home. Out of my four pets, she's the only one who's had a problem. The 19-year old cat is wandering around with the curiosity of a much younger cat. The move's been great for her. She stands right up to the dogs and slaps them if they get to close to her. She's fiesty in her old age. I've developed the habit of laying on the sofa with her every night for awhile, and petting and scratching her. It's been a long time since she's had that treatment regularly. At her age she deserves it.

The dogs have found their best sleeping positions for day and night in the house. But poor Emily just stays in the closet. I feel like I've forced her into hibernation from a life of freedom. But, I also think she sneaks out in the night when I'm asleep. She's always been a bit mischievious. At any rate, I worry about the poor thing.

If anyone who reads this belongs to any writing associations (outside Writing.com) please e-mail me and tell me about it. An association of some sort seems like a good idea to me, unless it's just giving away your money to find your name on some list nobody reads.
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399682-Associations-and-Magazine-Writing