*Magnify*
    June     ►
SMTWTFS
      
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399799-
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #562186
Each snowflake, like each human being is unique.
#399799 added January 16, 2006 at 1:11pm
Restrictions: None
What Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Holiday Means To Me
What Martin Luther King, Jr.’s Holiday Means To Me


Martin Luther King, Jr.’s holiday means that the country is celebrating the contribution of one African-American. There are other African-America’s whose contributions to civilization aren’t being celebrated, but we are making progress. We are making progress as long as the subject in inequality and prejudice is brought to the foreground and we are forced to face those subjects head on. Today we need to remember not only Martin Luther King, Jr., but also Rosa Parks and anyone else who has sacrificed for equality. Martin Luther King, Jr., was only one of those who brought the subject of prejudice and inequality before the American public.

Martin Luther King, Jr.’s holiday means that children today will not be raised, like I was, in a Sundown Town. For those who don’t know what a Sundown Town is it was a town/city where African-American’s could go only during the day time, they could work in the town, but not live. Prejudice effects everyone, those who are the brunt of it as well as those who practice or believe it. America, Americans and the world still has a long way to go, but thanks to Martin Luther King, Jr. and others we, in this country, are facing the problem. Our task now is to bring to the foreground the stories of those who made contributions and sacrifices, but don’t have specific holidays set aside for them.

© Copyright 2006 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/399799-