*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401663-CHAPTER-FOUR-Ha-The-Donner-Party-had-it-good
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1053388
A survivor stumbles upon a group of people living in a fallout shelter.
#401663 added January 30, 2006 at 2:51pm
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER FOUR: Ha! The Donner Party had it good!
CHAPTER FOUR: The Donner Party had it good!


I think Katie’s got it bad for you,” Mack said. “She never looked at me like that.”

“Don’t worry, Mack, I won’t be around long enough to move in on your girl.”

“My girl?”

“Yeah, you two are roughly the same age. It don’t take a rocket scientist to figure out the obvious connection.”

“Yeah, well she’s cute and everything, but she keeps to herself, mostly. I wish she would notice me.”

“Don’t rush her. She’ll come to you when she’s ready.”

“You got a girl, Ray?”

“Naw, I never did want the responsibility. A girl just slows a fella down, and it’s a long way to Colorado.”

“Colorado? Is that where you’re going?”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

Mack became very excited. “Take me with you.”

“What…? Are you crazy? You’re dad would never allow that.”

“Oh yeah, my dad…but you’re so easy to talk to, Ray. Not like him. It's like I don't even know him anymore.”

“You’re all in a tough situation here, Mack. Your dad just wants to do the right thing for you and your family. I think he’ll calm down a bit after I leave.”

From clear across the room, Kyle Walters shouted, “Mack!”

“Yeah, Dad?”

“Get over here...NOW!”

“Now what’s he all pissed about? I better go—I’ll talk to ya later, Ray.”

“Yeah, sure, Mack, anytime.” I saw the split occurring in the group. The two families were dividing—the rift widening day by day.

“Kyle gathered his children around him. “You kids stay away from that guy, you hear? Just stay away!”

I felt something beneath me, and Randy and Toby stuck their heads out from under the cot I was sitting on. I bent down and looked between my legs smiling. “I was wondering when you two were gonna come out.”

“We’re ready to learn how to use a sword, Mr. Daniels,” freckled-faced Randy said anxiously.

“Yeah, swords.” Toby mimicked, climbing out from under the bed with a little wooden sword.

“All right, boys...put your weapons down and I’ll show you some things.” The two boys dropped their toy swords to the concrete floor; I couldn’t help but think of Peter Pan and the Lost Boys. “Okay, first lesson: find your center.”

“You’re center?”

“That’s right. Spread your feet apart until you feel balanced. Your center is where you are most stable—a solid position you take so that you can turn and defend yourself from any direction...”

“Katie? Katie!” Mrs. Travis called out for her daughter. “Oh, my God, Katie’s run off again.”
© Copyright 2006 W.D.Wilcox (UN: billywilcox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
W.D.Wilcox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/401663-CHAPTER-FOUR-Ha-The-Donner-Party-had-it-good