*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403100-Some-Groovy-Songs
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#403100 added January 29, 2006 at 7:40pm
Restrictions: None
Some Groovy Songs
I guess everybody on the Internet has some way to get the music to which they want to listen. I get mine through a subscription to Rhapsody. I like that service because they give me access to all of the songs I bought on 45s and albums, and some that I didn't buy when the music was popular.

I do still have access to my albums, which I kept through all the moves over the years. I swear, one day I woke up, went to the music store, and all the albums had been replaced by CDs. Having SO many albums, I swore allegiance to a dying form, and indeed didn't buy music for several years. I refer to those years in the late 1980s as the time when they quit making vinyl and the time that the Virgina Slims promotion department actually sent me a CD player, thorough a coupon promotion. Indeed, the music did die for me, for awhile.

If you also kept your albums, you can search on the Internet for a Japanese product which plays old vinyl with a laser light. Very hip, and very expensive. If I ever win the lottery. . .

Anyhow, this is a list of some of the tracts I listened to this afternoon. I guess I was in a 1960s folk rock mind set. The songs seem to be so inncocent and simple. Reminds me of times when I was more innocent, life was more simple.

I started with "The Mamas and the Papas:"

California Dreamin',

I Saw Her Again (Last Night),

Monday, Monday,

Words of Love,

Go Where You Wanna Go (Do What You Wanna Do, With Whoever You Want To Do It With),

And, Creeque Alley, the biographical song of the group.

All these years later. . . and Mama Cass was the first to die. Press at the time was rude, gossip mongers, saying she died eating a sandwich. I'll do a search to verify, but I think it was heart related, which was probably weight related, but kinder of sound. She has an official web site at www.casselliot.com.

If you're interested in a web site for the group, try www.dennydoherty.com. Unlike some classic rock bands that have put a slot in the Internet, there's not one official site for the group, but a search will find lots of articles in archives.

I remember when the leading man, John Phillips, died from heart failure, related to heroin use. There are articles out there about he and his daughter shooting drugs together. She was on the television as one of the daughters in the sitcom, "One Day at a Time," Makenzie Phillips. Besides her problems with drugs, there's the tale of how Mick Jagger got her cherry when her dad went off to the store one day. He came back, found the door locked, put two and two together, and just waited. That was Mick Jagger's famous line from the encounter: "I've been waiting for this for years. . . " I believe she was fourteen at the time. And Michelle was only her stepmother.

Michelle is still alive, and pretty, and blonde, and has done movies, and at least one episode of "Star Trek: the Next Generation".

Maybe this is the beginnings of a series of articles for me to write, "Do You Remember?" instead of "Whatever Happened To?"
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403100-Some-Groovy-Songs