*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403161-CHAPTER-ELEVEN-Any-last-requests
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1053388
A survivor stumbles upon a group of people living in a fallout shelter.
#403161 added January 30, 2006 at 5:10pm
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER ELEVEN: Any last requests?
CHAPTER ELEVEN: Any last requests?


The dark hung heavy in the concrete hold and I thought I heard footsteps quietly tread down the tunnel. Then there was the quick pad of feet as someone else rushed forward. It was Mack, and he had my sword.

“He slipped off down the tunnel with a sack.”

Ray swung out of his cot and grabbed the sword. He clutched it like a lifeline, and then looked up at Mack. “Thanks.”

“Don’t kill him…please, he’s still my dad.”

Ray slapped Mack’s shoulder to reassure him everything would be all right. “Get a gun and guard this end of the tunnel.” Then I hurried down the tunnel

I stayed close to the wall, crouching low to present the smallest possible target. Up ahead, I heard a metal door squeal and then the incomprehensible mumbling of Kyle. I moved like a cat, rushing forward, and then stopped again completely undetected and within striking range. Leaning against the side of the door was Kyle’s shotgun. I silently pulled my sword from its sheath and tapped the blade on Kyle’s shoulder.

“What the…” He reached for the shotgun, but I kicked it across the tunnel floor.

I laid my blade against Kyle’s neck. “Don’t force me to kill you.”

“Go ahead! I’m dead already.”

“No, you can still have a life…but outside—not here—not with these people.” I didn’t wait for him to answer. Forcefully, I pushed him toward the ladder. “Start climbing.”

“You turned my own family against me—everybody. My own son hates me.”

“No, he don’t hate you. If it was up to me you would have been dead already, but Mack asked me to spare your life—he still loves you.”

“Good ol’ Mack.”

“Yeah, good ol’ Mack. Now get moving.”

Ray popped the hatch and Kyle Walters stepped outside. “Any last requests?”

“You’re going to leave me defenseless?”

“You’ve got nothing to worry about—you’re one of them now.”

Ray pulled the door shut and hurried down the ladder. Turning on the tunnel lights he checked the small room that Kyle had opened.

It was the generator room, and now that the lights were on, the machines came to life and began to hum. In the far corner were piles of food rations.

“What’s going on?” It was Ben Travis and Mack. Both men were armed. “Drop the sword Ray…I mean it.”

Ray lay the sword upon the ground as if it were a piece of expensive china.

“Where’s Kyle?” asked Ben.

“He left. I found where he’s been hiding all the food rations.”

Ben stuck his head into the generator room and took a quick look. “How do I know that YOU didn’t put it in there, Ray. Or that Kyle caught you and you over-powered him and sent him outside. Come on, we’re gonna have to decide what to do with you.” Mack picked up my sword and we walked down the tunnel together to the food storage room. Wait here quietly while we figure out what to do.

"Sure, Ben, but I never stole any food...it was Kyle."

I could still see the resentment he had for me about Katie. I guess I couldn't blame him.

"We'll see."

He shut the door and locked it.
© Copyright 2006 W.D.Wilcox (UN: billywilcox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
W.D.Wilcox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403161-CHAPTER-ELEVEN-Any-last-requests