*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403581-CHAPTER-TWELVE-Banishment
Rated: 18+ · Book · Sci-fi · #1053388
A survivor stumbles upon a group of people living in a fallout shelter.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#403581 added January 31, 2006 at 1:12pm
Restrictions: None
CHAPTER TWELVE: Banishment
CHAPTER TWELVE: Banishment


Stalking, turning, stalking, circling, as if caged, I found my weapons, checked their loads, and strapped them on. Stuffing food rations and water into my pack, I prepared to leave. With the threat of Kyle Walters, out of the way it was time for me to move on regardless of what the two families decided. The door lock spun and Mack swung it open. His face was devoid of the usual humor and curiosity it held. “It’s time, Ray, come on out.”

I stepped through the hatch, and faced Mack—placed my hand firmly on his shoulder. “It’s up to you now. You gotta take care of your family.”

“I know, Ray. Duya think you’ll ever be back this way again?”

“Maybe…I don’t know.”

“Well, if you do...look us up, huh.”

“You got it, Mack. Take care.”

“Yeah, you too, Ray, take care.”

I turned toward the group; they stood in a half circle waiting. Ben spoke first. “We’ve decided you must go, Ray, but it looks like that’s what you planned to do anyway.”

“Yeah, Ben, you can save your speeches—I’m going.” I shook his hand and slapped him on the back in a gesture of farewell. “I’m truly sorry about Katie—I’m sorry the whole thing didn’t work out for the better.”

“It’s not your fault. I know you would have saved her if you could. Take care, Ray Daniels and watch your back.”

Melissa gave me a half-smile, “Good luck,” she said, and then lowered her eyes.

As I passed little Toby, I ruffled his hair. “Keep practicing with that sword, you’ll make a fine samurai warrior someday.”

“Okie-doke, Ray.” He gave me a thumbs up and I smiled.

Randy stepped forward, “Bye, Ray,” was all he said, and then retreated. I nodded farewell to Jan and Julie, the two Travis daughters, and then stopped in front of Rose Walters.

“I’m sorry about your husband. In another day or so, you wouldn’t have recognized him—it was for the best.”

She stared as if she were looking right through me. “He is my husband—we may join him.”

Ray was startled. “If you go outside, you’ll die. Believe me when I tell you, that the man you knew as your husband is no more. You have children to think about.”

“We will remain a family, no matter what,” she said with resolve.

I looked down at her twin girls, Margaret and Roxanne. They were holding hands and swinging their arms—playful like children, but showing no remorse for the loss of their father. As they swung their arms, I saw bruised and discolored bite marks on them. Apparently, Kyle had been eating after all—he infected his entire family.

Suddenly I felt that outside was a much safer place to be than inside, and I hurried down the tunnel and climbed the ladder. I readied my sword as the door swung open, and then stepped out into the world. Without looking back, I quickly made my way toward the little park where it had all began. There was someone in the small cemetery near the church—one of the Crazies. I slipped around behind the church and looked.

It was Kyle Walters, and he sat amid a pile of freshly dug earth gnawing on a human arm. The pickings were always easy in the cemetery.

Out of pity, I stopped myself from killing him. Besides, his family would be here soon, and they would be looking for him.

I turned east and headed toward Colorado.


THE END

© Copyright 2006 W.D.Wilcox (UN: billywilcox at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
W.D.Wilcox has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/403581-CHAPTER-TWELVE-Banishment