*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409844
by Crazy
Rated: 18+ · Book · Action/Adventure · #1062435
In a post-apocalyptic world, four men build a new nation, an invincible empire.
#409844 added March 1, 2006 at 12:03am
Restrictions: None
Chapter 6 - From Good Intentions
“Hey Frank, I got a question to ask you. You’ve done a pretty good job of putting the swords together, would it be possible to build body armor?” I asked him as I walked into his shop. “Body armor, what for?” Frank returned. “Well you heard what happened to Anthony right? Well, I just want to do something to keep that from happening again. I know you’re not going to be able to stop bullets, but it would offer a sense of protection if you know what I mean.” I explained. “Yeah sure, I’d just need the material.” He answered back. “Well there are plenty of cars around; we’ll just pull the hoods and trunks off them. That should be good.” I told him. “I don’t think that will work. The metal isn’t thick or strong enough, it’s only aluminum. We need something much tougher than that, the aluminum will only offer limited protection. Now, if you could find me some steel plates we’d be set.” He replied. “Where exactly do you suggest we get that? It’s not like it’s just lying around or growing on trees.” I asked sarcastically. “Your best bet would probably be a junk or scrap yard. You could take a couple of the horses and that cart Ed brought back to gather the metal. And while you’re out, maybe you could find me a torch and a welding kit?” Frank told me. “Yeah, I’ll see what I can do. Brian and I will check some places we know of tomorrow.” I replied.

Brian is getting to be a pretty good hunter. He trapped a few rabbits earlier this morning which went well with the corn and potatoes for dinner. “Brian, what time did you want to head out tomorrow?” I asked. “I was thinking about seven. Give us plenty of time to look for the plates and the other stuff Frank wanted.” He answered. Emily spoke up “How are you doing Anthony? Feeling any better?” “I’ll be alright. It’s just annoying the crap out of me right now. I’ll be good in a few days.” Anthony replied and went on “Ed, I’ve been thinking about those kids in the woods. Do you think they followed us back here?” “I don’t think so. I don’t see why they would. Do you think we should have someone up to keep an eye out?” Ed returned. Henry interrupted “That’s not such a bad idea. Now that I think about it, we really haven’t worried about anyone coming in with the pure intent to harm us. We should really do something to protect ourselves.” “Well, does anyone have any ideas as to what we could do?” I asked everyone. Surprisingly the first person to speak up was Kevin “What do you do to keep rabbits out of your garden or the cows in the pastor? You build a fence. So why not build a wall to keep anyone we don’t want in, out?” “Kevin; that is the smartest thing I’ve ever heard you say.” Anthony cracked. Everyone laughed but he had a point. “Okay then, it’s final. Ed, Nort I’m going to leave it up to you guys to come up with a wall and maybe a tower or two.” I announced. “You got it boss.” Nort replied.

We finished up dinner, everyone said their goodnights and we were off to our own little worlds.

Time had passed peacefully into September and everything was moving along smoothly. The stable was finished and Kevin was unofficially appointed as the stable master, if there is such a position. Our wall had begun construction with a tower at the northwest corner just a few hundred feet off of the road. It would soon be time for the harvest here in about a month and a half that would require everyone’s help. But it would be easier thanks to Ed and Nort for their horse drawn carts and cutters. Frank finally got his steel plates, and has more than enough to build multiple set’s of armor. He decided to “go all out” and put together full body armor or more commonly known, suits of armor.

“Brian, I have to talk to you about something. Since Ed and Nort showed up, we really haven’t seen anyone else. Do you think it might be a good idea to go out and search for anyone who may need help?” Henry asked. “I don’t know. Maybe there’s no one left in the area outside our little town. And if there was, could we support a larger group of people so close to the harvest and winter?” Brian replied. “I don’t see why not. The storage shed is nearly full, each of us has a little room to spare in our homes and we have the gathering house. We should be able to take on about twenty to thirty people.” Henry told him. “And what if we come upon more people than we can handle?” Brian asked. “Then we’ll just have to take a few and hope for the best for the others. The least we can do is look. Who knows we may not find anyone, or anyone that doesn’t come along. Let’s go talk to James about this; it’s been bugging the hell out of me for a few days now.” Henry replied.

Henry explained the situation to me and told him that I would have to take some time to think about it.

“Henry, about that thing we talked about earlier.” I said to him. “Yeah what about it, have you made a decision?” he answered back. “It’s your call. If you want to do it, you go ahead and do it. I’m putting you in charge of matters such as these. You seem to have that down pretty good, so it’s all on you.” I told him. “Okay. I’m taking Brian, Anthony and Nort with me. We’re leaving first thing in the morning.” Henry said as he walked away to give the news to the others.
© Copyright 2006 Crazy (UN: ostrige96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Crazy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/409844