*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/419347-Bo-Bo-Coming-to-the-Family
Rated: 13+ · Book · Writing · #998498
What I'm thinking about today. . .
#419347 added April 15, 2006 at 1:29am
Restrictions: None
"Bo Bo" Coming to the Family
Since Mom had her Chow companion of 13 years, dear little "Regal", euthanized last December, I have been anticipating a new dog in the family. Mom's one particular dog shopper. It took some time for her to "be ready" to accept another four-footer into her life. Then there was the problem of locating exactly the dog she was looking for.

God and humans be blessed, it has come to pass--and just before Easter! A new kind of re-birth! I know her companion will bring new life to her, and me too. I love animals. They seem more trustworthy than lots of humans I've known. Dogs don't put on airs, except maybe the little "tea-cup" that is owned by Paris Hilton. Do you really think animals like to wear fashion? Seems like a human foible to me.

At first Mom thought she would stay companionless. This was her attitude for several months. At 83, the odds are that any pet she got would outlive her. The pet adoption facility that she had worked with in the past, called "Operation Kindness", has a saying: "A companion for life". I was afraid she wasn't going to even look for a pet. Any serious looking that I did was not particularly appreciated for many weeks.

She finally decided she wanted to have another full-blooded Chow, and she didn't want a puppy. I don't blame her for wanting to miss the stages of chewing and basic training. I only know of one Chow we got that had to go back to its original family. "Buffy" was a blonde ball of fur, and a fiesty little male, who proved very aggressive. I was in my twenties then, and the little booger chased me until I finally hopped on top of the kiten counter to get away from him. Normally, I would have gotten in big trouble, as people don't belong on kitchen counters. "Buffy" was an ankle chewer, and Mom took him back to his family when his personality became obvious, and we both had scratches showing. That's not what we wanted in a family pet.

Probably we've had pretty good experience with Chows, having only one that didn't work out. They are excellent dogs to protect the family. They are very loyal to their owners, and very barky and aggressive to those people showing up around the house and yard who are unfamilar. It's a good breed for a single little old lady to have. He'll keep unwanted visitors and salespeople away from her door. My two big dogs do an excellent job of that too.

I guess specifications work out for the best eventually, because she's getting what she hoped for this afternoon. I can hardly wait!

She's already named him "BoBo"--like a Chinese restaurant in the area. He's blonde, about a year old, was heartworm positive, but has had injections to take care of the problem, and he weighs around 55 pounds. He's had a "lion cut" and I know he's going to be adorable. His family, in a rather elite neighborhood, moved off and left him and a little black Lab in the backyard. Neighbors came to his recue, and God bless those who have feelings for pets. This lady, Susan, and several of her neighbors collected funds amongst them to take care of the dogs until they could be placed in a forever home. Shots, boarding, and surgery can add up--especially with two. I know they have several hundred dollars invested in this good-will project.

We haven't even seen him yet, but he sounds like a BIG dog. Her last Chow was female, and never weighed over 40 pounds. She was prefering a female, because like she says, "Girls are different". All of her female dogs, which have been Chows, have been very affectionate. That's an important trait for her. My "Big Bad John", being part Lab, has been very affectionate to me and friendly to everyone he sees: always full of kisses to share. "Shadow" is a female Geman Shepherd, and she does have a different kind of affectionate personality. Mom says it is girl thing, and she's probably right. It's nature as much as culture. Environment has got to count for a lot, and he's going to get lots of loving.

There are lots of ways to find a dog if you're looking. I started out with the newspaper, and very quickly decided that the Internet was going to have more options. "PetFinders" had a part Chow that was female, but she and the foster mom decided that "Autumn" might be more than Mom could handle. Plus, I think that the foster mom had gotten attached to "Autumn" and really preferred to keep her with her own family. Eventually I gave up on "Autumn" being part of our family, though she seemed like a keeper to me. I'm only the daughter.

In "Regal's" (her previous Chow) attempt to get the heck out of the animal clinic several years ago, the dog bolted with the leash well wrapped around Mom's wrist. Mom fell, and broke her right wrist. She didn't blame the dog, as one never does, but it was many weeks before she was able to do right handed things, like write, again. So, we're both aware that the strength of a pet is something to consider in her case. So despite "Autumn's" availability, and my continued pleas to just "do it", that pooch didn't end up being the dog for her. As April approached, I began to wonder if Mom would ever get another dog. I kept looking on line, leaving e-mail messages with Mom's phone number.

The Chow Rescue Society for the area is located in West Texas, which is a good eight hour drive from Dallas. I was ready to hop in the car and drive across the state to find the dog Mom wanted. It ends up that the Society is in touch with people all over the state. They contacted Mom about a dog that became available in Dallas. His family moved off and left him and another dog uncared for in the back yard. Maybe I could understand how that happens with cats, but doing that to a dog is especially cruel. I hope this dog isn't an outside terror type.

He's going to be delivered to Mom's house this afternoon. I need to hurry up and do my library and grocery stops, so I can be at her house for the arrival. I suppose it's not as exciting as a new baby, but for those of us without children, it's got to be the next best thing. Love is great, whether it comes from a two-footer or a four-footer. I'll take the camera so I can post pictures soon.
© Copyright 2006 a Sunflower in Texas (UN: patrice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
a Sunflower in Texas has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/419347-Bo-Bo-Coming-to-the-Family