*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426285-Last-day-of-Beauty-Owen-and-Jeannie
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#426285 added May 16, 2006 at 7:18pm
Restrictions: None
Last day of Beauty; Owen and Jeannie
SPRING: 19 Jamál (16 May)


*Balloon2*           Last day of Beauty           *Balloon2*


Weather where I am: 67º.

Weather where my friend Jan is: 58º.

Weather in Maracaibo, Venezuela: 91º.

Day of Loftiness of the month of Beauty

Today is the end of the month of Beauty. Tomorrow begins Grandeur and just happens to be the national holiday in Norway. Lots of flag-waving and singing "Ja, vi elsker dette landet". Which has a melody similar to our alma mater song here at K.U., btw.

Today's entry will be short. I met with Mary Klayder and with Jeanette and Krista and will meet with Kathleen this Thursday and Krista again next Tuesday. So, I've accomplished something. Called Jan to find a phone number and some info I need.

Mention Emporia and I get flack! Which means I need to find out who here at WDC lives in Emporia. I know I know; just can't remember squat today. Dayna Carleton and Kent Hayes both feel it would be a mistake. Mary mentioned a Poetry class at K.U. this summer I should take. The level doesn't matter much; I've probably written more than an entire class combined! Good teacher, though and that matters.

Leg is bothering me more and I'm pooped. So, I need to find some sun-and-shade and go relax.

READING

"60 Cent Coffee & a Quarter to Dance" by Judy Jordan. 50 page poem about being homeless while working in a Greek restaurant. Quite well written, but not for the easily offended.

"Watching for Signs" by Ann Joyce, of Ireland. I really liked 'September Orchard', 'Ripened Fruit', A Wish for My Father'. Lyrical and peaceful (the parts I got to read so far).

"Songs of Kabir", trans. by Tagore. 15th century poet from India. Difficult to totally grasp in translation, but liked LXVI, XLIII, XXXIV, XXIV.

IMAGES

The robin's chirp from the branch above; the gurgle of fountain below. The flutter of mourning dove-wing; the oak leaf litter.

Tight wrapped buds of persimmon; rabbit running through the still-soft thorns of the barberry patch.


A bluesy poem sketched on the 14th as Owen and Jeannie were snoozing it off ...

Owen and Jeannie

they got up this morning and went to work
         got up and went to work
on a bottle of vodka that did not last
         they drank it to the last

now down on the floor, all snuggled they snore
         down on the floor they snore
and won't get up till another is poured
         nope, won't get up till its poured
[163.117]

© Copyright 2006 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426285-Last-day-of-Beauty-Owen-and-Jeannie