*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428857-
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1111428
Jamie, the new Superboy, helps residents of a community that is stricken by a hurricane.
#428857 added May 27, 2006 at 3:49pm
Restrictions: None
H U R R I C A N E G R E G O R Y– Part 18
“I came to let you know that we have received evacuation orders from the Mayor’s office. I strongly advise all of you to pack your bags and to leave the area. There are shelters located off Interstate 10 throughout Santa Rosa County and Washington County. We’re under a hurricane warning. We expect hurricane force winds within the next thirty-six hours. If you decide to remain here, then I’ll need you to fill out some forms. Let me warn you that we’re expecting a Category Three hurricane to come over this area within the next few days. Are there any questions?”

“My mother lives here, and we have one of Gregory’s classmates traveling with us” Herb said to the Deputy, while pointing at Jamie. “So, where could we go? What’s the nearest shelter?”

“You may want to go to Washington County. There is a shelter at Chipley High School. That is probably the easiest one to find. But, I would definitely not recommend your staying here!”

Herb looked up at the sky, disappointed. Then he turned to Greg and Jamie.

“Alright, boys… Pack your things and get into the van… We’re leaving…” he sighed. Herb then turned towards the Deputy. “Thanks for the warning, officer…”

The deputy got into his car and drove away. Several other guests were hauling their luggage out of their rooms. Three other cars were already leaving the area. The hotel was emptying out. The boys realized that they would be among the last to leave the hotel.

“This really stinks, Jamie…” Greg complained, as he closed the zipper on his soft bag. “This weather is going to ruin our vacation. I’m really not looking forward to the shelter at all!”

“Well… What else could we do?” Jamie wondered.

Greg didn’t have time to respond. Herb had opened the door to the room, and motioned to the boys that they had to hurry up.

“Come on, guys! Let’s go! We need to evacuate!” he ordered them.

The boys carried their soft bags and closed the door to their room. They dropped off the keys at the front desk and made their way to the van. Herb then started the engine and headed the van towards the main road, which led to the highway.

“Goodbye, Gulf Breeze…” Carrie said sadly. She was staring out the window of the van, looking at the small buildings which were standing along the side of the road. “I hope you’ll still be standing, after the hurricane passes through here…”

The boys were sitting in the back gazing out the window. It was pouring; the streets had started to flood. There was water everywhere!

“Where are we going?” Greg asked his father.

“We’re going to pick up grandma. Then, we’ll head east of here, probably Washington County. We’ll just spend a few days at the shelter there.” Herb replied. He wasn’t happy about the situation, but he figured this was the best thing to do.

“Why can’t we just go back to Metropolis, daddy?” Carrie asked him.

“I don’t want to leave grandma in the shelter by herself and she wouldn’t agree to come with us to Metropolis. She wants to get back to Gulf Breeze as soon as the storm passes. So, we’ll just spend a few days in the shelter with her.”

“That does it! Our vacation’s ruined! All thanks to this stupid hurricane!” Greg whined.

“That hurricane is named after you!” Carrie teased.

“Shut up, Carrie!” Greg snapped back at his little sister.

“Greg! Be nice to your sister!” Amy said.

Greg folded his arms before him, as he stared out the window.

“Hey…” Jamie said to him, quietly. “Don’t worry. It’ll work out.”

They drove to the store, where Herb got out and helped his mother carry her bag to the van. Grandma got into the van and sat next to Carrie. They then drove off to the highway before they headed east, towards Washington County.

“Stupid hurricane…” Greg grumbled. “I hate hurricanes!”

“Sssshhhhh…” Jamie whispered to him.

The boys just sat quietly, as they waited to arrive at the hurricane shelter, about ninety miles away.

Everyone remained quiet when the announcer read the weather report on the radio, during the ninety-minute drive to the shelter in Chipley.

“Hurricane Gregory has strengthened and is now moving over the gulf at eleven miles per hour. The storm has maximum sustained winds of one-hundred-and-twenty miles per hour, making it a very dangerous hurricane! All efforts to protect life and property should be rushed to completion!” the announcer read.

“Wow… I can’t believe this is really happening to us on our vacation…” Greg mumbled, as he stared out the window of the SUV.

All three of the kids were quiet. Even Jamie felt uneasy about the situation. From his previous encounter with the hurricane, he knew about the hard rain and the strong winds. It had been no fun at all flying through the storm, not even for the little super boy.

“A Hurricane warning is in effect for the western Florida panhandle, and the coastal areas of Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana. An evacuation order has been issued for Escambia County, where forecasters have determined the eye of the hurricane is most likely to make landfall. This area includes communities of Pensacola, Navarre, and Gulf Breeze. Gregory is expected to make landfall on Thursday morning and it has the potential for causing significant damage to properties in coastal areas. This is a category Three hurricane, and must be taken very seriously” the announcer continued.

“Are we there yet?” Carrie asked her father.

“Yes, we’re just a few miles away from Chipley. We’ll be there in a few minutes…” Herb assured his daughter.

“Look at that weather…” Greg complained. “I wish I had the power to control the weather… Then, I would make this storm disappear completely!”

Jamie just giggled for a moment. But Greg was very serious.

“Nobody can do that!” Jamie replied. “It’s impossible to control the weather!”

“Yeah, maybe that’s just as impossible as a kid who can to fly!” Greg retorted.

Carrie’s mouth dropped wide open in shock, and Jamie noticed it. But, Jamie just smiled, and returned a wink to the wide-eyed girl.

To be continued


My website contains my works of science fiction and fantasy.

Check out my website at http://www.superfantasystories.com
© Copyright 2006 scriptboy (UN: scriptboy64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
scriptboy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428857-