*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428874-
Rated: E · Book · Action/Adventure · #1111428
Jamie, the new Superboy, helps residents of a community that is stricken by a hurricane.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#428874 added May 27, 2006 at 4:00pm
Restrictions: None
H U R R I C A N E G R E G O R Y– Part 33
Epilogue

Jamie, Wesley and Greggy were watching TV in the living room, the day after Greg had returned from spending the weekend with Clark at the Fortress of Solitude for his training. The boys were casually watching their favorite cartoon show, when the broadcast was interrupted with a startling news flash. Pictures of a large fire at an apartment building were shown on the screen. The fire was burning out of control! The broadcast was live, and the fire was still raging.

“Guys! That’s our chance to help out! Let’s go!” Wesley ordered, as he stood up and dashed to his room. Greg and Jamie went to Jamie’s room, and all three of them changed into their respective super hero costumes.

Seconds later, three figures were spotted, flashing across the sky. Two of them were wore jumpsuits as their costumes; the third a skin tight costume and a flowing bright red cape.

On the ground, people looked up, gazing in awe at the trio flying overhead. Very few of them knew the names of all three of the flying super boys. Although everyone knew and recognized Superboy as one of the three young costumed heroes only a few knew Speed Demon by name, and no one had ever heard of Stormboy. But, this was about to change!

The boys arrived at the scene. They divided the large apartment building into three sections. Each was responsible for a section. Each boy scanned his assigned section searching for people trapped inside.

Jamie and Wesley’s sections were completely clear. But Greg, however, found a young mother, who was holding a baby in her arms, as she was trapped by the flames. She was unable to get to the stairwell, and she did not dare jump from her bedroom window with her baby! She had no means of escape.

Greg flew up to the window and beckoned to the young woman. In as strong a voice as he could manage he ordered.

“Come here, ma’am. I’m gonna get you and your baby out of here!”

The woman did not move. She was paralyzed, frozen in place by her fear and indecisiveness. Greg could tell she did not trust him to bring off a safe an effective rescue. Rather than trying to coax her to come to him, he stretched out his arms and plunged his fingers through the building walls, just outside the window frame and ripped it free from the surrounding structure. He had not wanted to smash the glass for fear of flying glass harming the woman and her baby. He cast aside the window, frame and all, and entered the flaming building.

He hovered just above the floor and looked into the terrified young mother’s eyes.

“Please, ma’am. I’m here to help. Just hold on to your baby. I need you to hold onto her tight. I’m gonna get both of you out of here.”

Something about Greggy’s calm, gentle but strong reassurance snapped the young woman out of her paralysis. She allowed herself to be cradled in Greggy’s arms as he lifted off the floor and flew out the window. He searched the scene for the emergency crews and spotting an ambulance, made for it, presently, landing alongside. He set the woman down on her feet and smiled at her.

“Thank you for trusting me, ma’am. I think you and your baby are gonna be ok now.”

The young woman, now in control of her faculties looked into Greggy’s eyes and replied, “I don’t know who you are. But, whoever you are, you’re a hero. You saved our lives just now. Who ARE you?”

Greg smiled again as he blushed. “Well, ma’am, most people call me ‘Storm Boy,’ but pretty lady that you are, you can just call me ‘Stormy.’”

In spite of the horror she’d just endured, she laughed. “You’re not only a hero, um, ‘Stormy,’ you’re a real charmer, too!”

Greggy grinned. “Well, yes, ma’am. I try!”

The young woman kissed Greg’s forehead and thanked him for the rescue. He grinned and blushed and shuffled his feet bashfully and then, taking his leave, he took off to rejoin Wesley and Jamie in the rescue and fire fighting operation.

The young lady remarked to the astounded attending EMTs, “Isn’t he adorable!”

Moments later, a local television news crew interviewed the lady. She told them, on the air, that she was extremely grateful for Stormboy, the new super hero, who had saved her life and the life of her baby. Now, the whole world had heard the name of the mysterious young super hero!

Wesley and Jamie were waiting on a hillside, as Greg joined them landing in front of them. Wesley walked up to him, with a serious look on his face, when he addressed his new partner.

“Hey, Greg… I need to talk to you about something…” Wesley said to him.

“Oh no… Not again!” Jamie moaned. “Please, Wes, don’t you and Greg start arguing about me again! Please!”

“Relax, Jamie!” Wes assured him. “I’m not going to argue with Greg! On the contrary…”

Wesley turned to face Gregory. He stepped up to him and rested his hands on Greg’s shoulders, before he looked at him with a smile on his face.

“Greg… I just want to apologize to you…”

Both Greg and Jamie were staring at Wesley in shock.

“I’m sorry for not trusting you before. I was afraid you’d distract Jamie from his responsibilities and I thought that you were going to blow his secret identity. I couldn’t have been more wrong about you. I’m sorry.”

“Well, Wes, I guess I can’t really blame you for worrying. If I’d been in your shoes I might’ve been worried too. I admit I did cut it a little close there a few times. But once I really ‘got it’, about what was at stake for your family, there’s no way I would’ve done anything to blow your secret” Greg replied.

“Jamie’s my best friend in the world and I think the world of your mom and dad and even you, Wes. I’ve known what blowing Jamie’s secret identity would’ve done to all of you. But I guess I should’ve at least acknowledged your concerns, Wesley and I just never did. So as long as you’re apologizing to me, I guess, well, I owe you an apology too. I should never have made you sweat like I let you do and I’m really sorry. It was wrong and I promise I’ll do better from now on. Besides, I’ve always admired what you guys have done as super heroes. In fact, both of you have inspired me to be a cop when I grow up. That’s been my goal for a long time and now, more than ever, I really wanna do that. Some day I wanna be a cop so I can help people when they’re in trouble.”

“What a relief,” Jamie sighed.

Wes answered, “You’ve been a great friend to my little brother, Greg. And I want you to know how much I appreciate that. But, since you two first met, well, you both had so much more in common with each other than either of you did with me and I guess maybe I was just a little bit jealous of you. I hope you can forgive me, Greg.”

“Absolutely!” Greg answered. “In fact, I think we should vow to help each other from now on. After all, we’re all super heroes now, and we need to work together!”

Jamie extended his left arm palm up, to Wes and Greg. “Here, Greggy laid your right hand on my left palm.” Greg did so. “Now, Wes laid your right hand on top of Greggy’s.” Wesley did so. Then Jamie laid his right hand atop Wesley’s.

“Team!” the three boys chorused in unison.

Then, the three boys leaped into the sky, as they flew back home, to Jamie’s house. They had formed an alliance, which would eventually become the foundation of a new legion of young super heroes, which was dedicated to doing good deeds, and committed to helping all those who were in need.

The end

Written by tf_wizard and edited by TagsNOLA.
July 25, 2005 – February 27, 2006.


My website contains my works of science fiction and fantasy.

Check out my website at http://www.superfantasystories.com
© Copyright 2006 scriptboy (UN: scriptboy64 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
scriptboy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/428874-