*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429324-Roll-Up-Roll-Up
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#429324 added April 30, 2014 at 12:09pm
Restrictions: None
Roll Up Roll Up
The morning was clear and bright so after walking into the city we decided to take a boat trip from Liverpool docks.



All together now - you all know the words - sing up - 'So, ferry 'cross the Mersey...'


After lunch we boarded a vehicle from the sixties, renovated and restored for the sole purpose of visiting Liverpool's famous Beatle's landmarks.



Les, the driver and Eddie, the tour guide were very amusing and entertaining. Originating from the same era as myself and The Beatles, these two Liverpudlians (natives of Liverpool) had attended the same schools as members of the group and are still in close contact with family members of The Beatles. They certainly knew their stuff and relayed some very interesting and funny anecdotes.

First stop was the inspiration for a famous Beatles song 'Penny Lane.' The barber's shop, bank, fire station and bus shelter mentioned in the song are all still standing.



Next stop was another famous landmark - Strawberry Fields. I forgot to take my specs off. *Blush*



Strawberry Fields was actually an orphanage until last year and the earliest memory John Lennon had was seeing it from his bedroom window as a child. I forgot to take my specs off (vain sod) but as the song goes - 'Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see...'

We visited many other places connected with The Beatles but the photo I took of George Harrison's childhood home didn't take and we didn't get off the coach to see Ringo's old home as it's boarded up awaiting demolition.

No doubt it will be bought and restored for posterity, just as the childhood homes of John Lennon and Paul McCartney have been. Both are privately owned and open for public viewing by appointment. They are decorated and furnished inside just as they were in the days the band wrote and practiced their early music as young teenagers.



Hard for me to believe it's over forty years since I had my photograph taken outside John Lennon's home. I can confirm it hasn't altered in any way since then. Shame the same can't be said for me. lol



Paul McCartney's childhood home, restored to its former glory. He still visits it from time to time and also helps teach young musicians at Liverpool's music acadamy. He wasn't in when we visited though. *Frown*

So, here endeth Scarlett's trip to Liverpool; something I thoroughly enjoyed and hope to do again some time. I leave you with a conversation the guide told us about between Paul McCartney and Queen Elizabeth a few years ago.

Her Majesty - 'I've still got some records by The Beatles.'

McCartney - 'That's great. I still have some by Queen.' *Laugh*





© Copyright 2014 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/429324-Roll-Up-Roll-Up