*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/432082-The-Quiet-Butterfly
Rated: E · Book · Drama · #1116029
All entries written for the Daily Flash Fiction Contest
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#432082 added June 12, 2006 at 3:35am
Restrictions: None
The Quiet Butterfly
The Quiet Butterfly
8 June 2006


Josie has been thinking of her decision for a long, long time. She had been pacing across the living room for the past one hour as she considered it carefully while waiting for her mum to come down for her family’s big pool party. All her relatives were in the living room to listen to her announcement. It was important that she said it in front of her relatives so that her parents would be confused and the relatives would talk and distract them.

Footsteps throttling down the stairs made her feel nervous. She knew that she had to tell them, no matter what. She had kept her secret life for far too long, having played the role of an obedient child for so long.

“Mum!” Josie started as she spotted her parents coming down the flight of stairs. “I need to tell you something.”

Josie’s mum were surprised because their child has always been quiet and opinionless. Hearing that she has something to say was like expecting a day leopards have stripes on their bodies.

“What is it?” Josie’s mum asked as they were seated comfortably in the living room, as Josie insisted.

“I am getting married tomorrow. I am going to move to my husband’s place in Sabah, East Malaysia,” said Josie.

She could hear everyone in the room hold their breath.

Josie’s mum was broke the silence: “Are you joking?”

“Joking? Mum, look. Here are my luggages,” Josie said as she dragged her luggages from behind the sofa. Her mum looked stunned.

Josie didn’t wait for them to react. The inquisitive relatives started whispering amongst themselves.

Josie took her luggage and walked out. Josie’s mum shouted: “Josie, come back!”

Josie heard her mum weep. She heard her heart break but Josie had enough. It’s time to go.
© Copyright 2006 Elycia Lee ☮ (UN: brontosaurus at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elycia Lee ☮ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/432082-The-Quiet-Butterfly