*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/435282-Finished
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #1109743
Writing and avoiding writer's block requires constant creativity.
#435282 added June 21, 2006 at 10:28pm
Restrictions: None
Finished
         Well, I am so excited to say that I have finally finished my first novel. I'm so excited I could jump up and down if I wasn't so sick.
         I told my husband that this was a great accomplishment for myself. While I have written a few picture books and poems, none published yet, I am excited by this small feat!
         Now to go back and finish some of the other manuscripts that I have started and stopped. I love to just jot down ideas and sometimes they free form themselves into stories. Sometimes, they just die out.
         I recall reading a quote by Stephen King that said (and I'm paraphrasing here) "sometimes you have to know when to kill a story." Some stories are not meant to live. Some things start out to be a great idea, but if there isn't enough there to keep it interesting, or moving, then you have to know when to pull the plug.
         Then there are the times when you just write yourself into a corner and you don't know how to write your way back out of it. I've done that before. I wrote a story once and was 3/4ths the way through when low and behold, I realized that the direction I was taking the characters in were just wrong. I loved the characters and they took on a life of their own. I wanted to send them one way and they said, "No, we need to go this way." Needless to say, I scrapped the idea.
         On listening to the characters I realized that they were right, and I was wrong. They had a story to tell, so who knows, I may go back and rewrite that manuscript with a whole new idea in mind.
         Maybe that will be my next novel!

My Hobbies' Home
Handmade by Martha
http://www.handmadebymartha.esmartdesign.com


© Copyright 2006 Finding my Path (UN: mbishop25 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Finding my Path has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/435282-Finished