*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/438321-Heavy-Loads
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#438321 added July 4, 2006 at 4:06pm
Restrictions: None
Heavy Loads
To all my friends across the pond, I hope you're enjoying your July 4th celebrations and having a more productive day than I've had.

Some days are just a waste of make up. It would have been pointless wearing any today anyway, as the sweltering heat would soon have melted it.

I went to my friend Gillian's this morning for a reflexology session, then sauntered home. Mother decided she didn't want to go out this afternoon so I decided I'd 'nip' into town and do a few overdue jobs. There was another load of those socks and pants to hang out to dry, but I'd do that on return. I packed a bag with another friend's birthday presents and a parcel for overseas. Quite heavy in this heat, but they'd soon be off my hands I thought.

Called in at my friends to deliver the presents but no one at home. So no choice but to carry them into town and deliver them on the way back. Arrived at the Post Office to be informed there'd been a break in at the weekend and it was closed for today. Cursing, I carried my parcels across the precinct to the library to collect a book a friend had recommended.

Turns out the library is going to be closed for refurbishment for the whole of the summer holidays (great timing for the kids off school) and they were having a book sale today to get rid of old stock. The librarian pointed me towards two books in the sale by the author of the book I was taking out - well, at ten pence each who could resist? So added three bulky books to my already bulging bags and set off for the chemists.

I just wanted to get one of those little pill boxes marked with the days of the week in an effort to get mother to remember to take her tablets, but the pharmacist informed me her next month's medication was ready too so did I want to take it? Added mother's many pills, eye drops, inhalers and lotions to my ever expanding bags and set off for home. Called in my friends again to deliver presents, but still no one home.

I now have bags of goods in my hallway still awaiting delivery, as well as shorter legs from all the walking and longer arms fom carrying heavy bags. All I need now is a tree and a hairy chest and I can take up chimpanzee impressions.

Pegged out the washing eventually, taking solace in the fact I haven't got the same obsession about pegs as my mother and sister, otherwise I could have been there all afternoon. A few years ago I discovered they both HAVE to use matching coloured pegs on each item they hang on the line. This is totally out of character. Both of them have bags and pockets crammed full of last years' bus tickets, receipts, tissues and shopping lists and are constantly searching for misplaced items. I'm the neat freak but I couldn't give a monkeys about what colour pegs are attached to my washing.

'There's nowt so queer as folks,' as my granddad used to say. Do any of your family members have any quirky little obsessions or habits?

© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/438321-Heavy-Loads