*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/447671-Bangles--Weddings-Haha
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#447671 added August 13, 2006 at 12:02pm
Restrictions: None
Bangles & Weddings. Haha
Well, I thought I'd write an entry about the group "The Bangles." You know - those chicks from the 80's with the song "Walk like an Egyptian?"

** Image ID #1143594 Unavailable **


From left to right: Michael, Susanna, Viki, & Debbie

This is a pic from 2003/2004 when the girls reunited.

Anyway the Bangles was one of my favorite 80's bands (I was a teenager in the 80's) and I really liked them. At the time, I enjoyed the melody of their voices. I thought they were a great vocal group and I also thought they were a very positive role model for chicks. Haha.

I was so into them I signed up to be a member of their fan club which something I rarely do. In Sept 1989 I went to the New York State Fair in Syracuse, NY. (I was stationed at the Seneca Army Depot in Romulus NY and it was only an hour away.) I got there early and since the admission was general admission I got front row standing. Haha. In fact, I was right front of bassist, Michael Steele.

One of my memories that I'll never forget was watching a guy jump onto the stage in the middle of a song Susanna was singing and grab her. She backed away like "OH MY GOD" and Security jumped out and grabbed his ass. Sadly, that was one of the last events the Bangles at the time did. Shortly after that they broke up.


I was pretty bummed to say the least. They were fun. *Frown*

Well, life moved on and in 2003 they reunited and put out an album called DOLL REVOLUTION I picked it up a few months ago and began jamming to it.

One of the things I noticed was the maturity of the album. There's a lot more adult themes on the album. They still have that familiar sounds, but the lyrics are something I can really get into.

All 4 of the Bangles wrote songs either by themselves or they collabrated with other people. My favorite Bangles songs are songs that Viki writes. She plays lead guitar. She's very expressive and writes about things I can really identify with. On DOLL REVOLUTION she's got a song called, "SINGLE BY CHOICE." Awesome. My favorite song of hers is called "Make a Play for her now," from the EVERYTHING CD. Her guitar riffs blend hard and haunting flawlessly. She's my favorite.

I like Debbie's songs because they speak of relationship in a postive light. Some of Debbie Favorites are from EVERYTHING "Some Dreams Come True" and "Be With you."

I've always liked Susanna's voice, but didn't into her songs like I did Viki & Debbie's. "Stealing Rosemary" from DOLL REVOLUTION rocks - Susanna, Debbie & Viki worked on that one.

I was never into Michael songs because I just couldn't connect to them, but I admired her effort. She had a very budding mature effort on EVERYTHING called "Complicated Girl" and "Glitter Years," but on DOLL REVOLUTION she really impressed me with her efforts on "NICKEL ROMEO," and "SONG FOR A GOOD SON."

Anyone into the Bangles? Heard these songs? What do you think? Any memories you'd like to share? I'll write some more on them in another entry so consider this TBC...


THE WEDDING:

Well, here's the skinny on the wedding. First off, here's a pic of Brent, Andrew & I right before the wedding starts. I must admit, I'm rather happy with how the photo came out. You can tell I'm a little swollen and I look a little rough (like I'm 8 months pregnant) but I thought I looked considering how much this pregnancy has just really sucked the life out of me. haha..

** Image ID #1143598 Unavailable **


Andrew was supposed to be a ring bearer but him and Brent had to be there at 8:30 in the morning and it started at 10. Needless to say he was a basket case by 10 so he just sat next to me and hugged me while we watched the wedding take place. It was simple but elegant, which I think my MIL was going for.

Mind you when I finally got dressed before heading over there, I thought I looked great by my feet were too small for my shoes. Sigh...so I drove to TARGET on my way over here and bought a pair of shoes! Haha. I even got Andrew a pair of Superman sneaker 'cos he's into Superman these days. Thank God I did because I would have been very uncomfortable if I hadn't!

Andrew, though, just wasn't into the event. All that waiting around made him CRABBY. He just wanted to go home after the wedding was done. He cried and fussed on the way over to the reception. At the reception he didn't eat but sprawled out over his chair. Sigh... After the 1st Dance, I decided to take him home because he was practically falling asleep. We got home around 3 in the afternoon. Brent didn't get back until 8.

I thought it was nice, but as usual, there was a that same, familiar, subtle undertone that the immediate in-laws gave off - the feeling that was I just second class. There was nothing specifically done, but you know the look, the subtle snubs, the avoidance. Nothing really new.

I made an analogy the other day - It's like Prince Brent married a commoner - so I get the "Common" treatment.



© Copyright 2006 StephBee - GOT Survivor (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - GOT Survivor has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/447671-Bangles--Weddings-Haha