*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/451390-Piss-poor-poetry-A-very-fowl-poll-Fat
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#451390 added August 29, 2006 at 4:02pm
Restrictions: None
Piss poor poetry. A very fowl poll. Fat!
Pissing is a good thing, rich or poor; the alternative is not. Chilly here in KC bbq country. Watched some cricket. Reading Kooser. Chalaedra still #1 on the quiz! Another fowl poll: geese, emus, ostriches, squab. Racism ... don't get me started. Fat Mississippi!

7,258 views

         L'aura del campo           

SUMMER: 10 'Asma (29 August)

'é a lua,  é a lua,  na quintana dos mortos'
♣    Federico García Lorca    ♣

My world turned chilly

There is a chill in the air that we are unaccustomed to. In the North, it marks the end of summer, preparing us for autumnal months that end in -ber. Here it seems precipitous. This is not the North and clouds should pile up high in an August hair-do and not lay low. This is the time of dust and hell-fire heat, not the sound of geese, a portent of coming snow.

Meanwhile in Florida, my friends and yours are casting an uneasy glance at Ernesto. Even the NorthEast should be concerned if he becomes a gullywasher. Agnes in '72 practically destroyed Wellsville, NY and threatened Rochester. I have friends and family in that region too. Everyone focuses on the wind, but heavy rains in the hills of Pennsylvania or the Virginias can devastate as well.

Hurricane John will affect the coast of Mexico and depending on its track may bring more rains to the SouthWest.

Obesity


I need to lose 30 pounds ... anyone got a magic wand?

According to: http://healthyamericans.org/

Fat Five:

1. Mississippi (dear, dear cousin Barbara)
2. Alabama (an Alabama slamma is a new move for sumo wrestlers?)
3. West Virginia (ooooo, Mountain Mama!)
4. Louisiana (not enough hot suace?)
5. Kentucky (eat grass?)

Skinny Five:

1. Colorado (too much out-doors)
2. Hawai'i (Nada ... hint ... hint)
3. Massachusetts (When whoever in New England's through with you, Reba)
4. Rhode Island (ditto)
5. Montana (okay Party, Kendra, Gypsy ... what's the secret? And don't tell me it's moosepoops. Although pooping does factor in *Rolleyes*

Kansas was #26, so like everyone else here, I've got a ways to go.

████████ Need to snuggle? *Reading* Read a book! *Reading*
████████ Weather where I am: 74º.
████████ Weather in Naples, Florida: 89º and getting ready to storm.
████████ Weather in Izmir, Turkey: 81º.

IMAGES

Sunday under the walkway to Spencer

Watching cricket, the smash of bat echoes the crash of thunder. Rain floods the parking lot as I listen to the bells chime below the clouds, above the rumbles threatening in the north and west. One batter twirls and through the swirl of grey the drops pound harder. I sit dry beneath the canopy, as bells still chime and players still play on.

MY LIFE

Hmmmm, running to the bus wasn't bright. Heel hurts like a son-of-a ... Heard it pop while running.

Up to page 1,085 in my journal. That's gotta be over a quarter million words. Too bad most of it is personal crap or I'd have me a novel. *Laugh*

The library is quiet. I should get head phones, listen to music. So many folks here mention the music that they are listening to. I prefer quiet.

Met Leah yesterday. She's an intern in Social Work. Originally from Chicago, I could tell by speaking with her that she knows people and will adjust to the 'streets'.

POULTRY? YOU CALL THIS POULTRY?

Poor in Kansas

It is a miracle this defecation,
this letting go.
Every urination
is a grand event.

With no income ...
there should be no flotsam,
there should be no flow.
[163.327]

BLOGVILLE

vivacious has a must-read entry: "God's love and points to view. Everyone in WDC-Land should read this. Bookmark this! Share it with others! Give it a thousand views! Internalize the wisdom that shines within. Quoting "Mister God. This is Anna":

TREASURE OF THE DAY

“Flynn, that’s the difference. You see, everyone has got a point of view, but Mister God hasn’t. Mister God has points to view.”


Many thanks to one of the best entries I've ever read. Go there NOW if you have EVER been upset or hurt about events here at WDC. It should help the healing process.


Visited: aeroshika who is new and seems to be quite sweet. I should send her my poem "Qadr for comment.
darkin took the challenge and won! Anyone who can pour Frank's hotsauce on chocolate cake and survive is a real pooper ... er ... trooper. See "Invalid Entry for the pics!
More new-to-me reading: Special Kay and Persephone .
Anyea has a hilarious entry on the paper crisis, even suggesting reusable corn cobs and then, as if that weren't enough, goes on to quote Gargantua by Rabelais. Read "Invalid Entry (GC), if you can stand rolling around in laughter. *Smirk*
I agree with Wendopolis over the need for peace in Blogville "Invalid Entry. I bet most of us do. Her entry "Invalid Entry steamed me too. I basically responded that racism is a disease that infects us all, that we can be kind to those with its most virulent death-dealing form, that good parentage can innoculate against it, that institutions that harbor the vermin that spread this disease should be fumigated. Well, you get the idea.

*Reading* READING *Reading*

I am reading the anthology of Poetry magazine at the bookstore. I know where to find it. I know where to put it back. They have free coffee and the staff is wonderful. After three years, I sure know how to do poor. If I ever have money again, it'll be a struggle *Smile*.

On the other hand, the local library has loaned me Ted Kooser's "Flying at Night", silly loons! And I'm looking at Jorge Luis Borges "Ficciones". Been years since I've read that.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"He had come to an age / when his health had put cardboard / in all of its windows. / The oil in his eyes was so old / it would barely light / and his chest was a chimney / full of bees ..."

excerpt from "Uncle Adler" by Ted Kooser

QUIZZES AND POLLS

Still getting responses to:

 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1148035 by Not Available.


Chalaedra is still number 1 with 45/100! It goes till the 30th. 20 responses, so I'm happy *Smile*. I'll post the results here, hopefully Thursday and send e-mails to everyone who participated. You-all are special.

In jest, and to restore some levity around this here poultry coop:

[Linked Poll's access is restricted.]

© Copyright 2006 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/451390-Piss-poor-poetry-A-very-fowl-poll-Fat