*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/454071-Being-left-handed-Next-time
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#454071 added September 11, 2006 at 1:50pm
Restrictions: None
Being left handed. "Next time".
Being left-handed has made me different. It was not a choice. Read blogs entries about racism (I've got the links to Gypsy and Maharani). Nicholas is 4 today! (pwilli's son). Got a date with Hurricane Florence? How about Jack Frost? Football! Jayhawks and Wildcats win.

7,917 views

         L'aura del campo           

SUMMER: 4 'Izzat (11 September)

'é a lua,  é a lua,  na quintana dos mortos'
♣    Federico García Lorca    ♣


Being left handed

As a child I learned I was different ... in many ways. Being left handed was just one more 'burden'. Fortunately, my mother was left-handed and taught me my penmanship and I became very good with my parent's and teacher's encouragement. I can write backwards and upside down and backwards. Both, I believe, are easier for a left-hander. Can even do calligraphy when I try. (Been years, though *Frown*.)

However, I never became good at bowling. My right-handed father tried. Lord, he tried! But my poor eyesight and poor eye-hand coordination didn't help.

If my mother would've bowled and my father taught me to write, maybe I could've been a bowler who scribbled unintelligibly! *Laugh*

I think many left handers look at the world differently. In my generation, we were certainly treated differently. As a left hander, I may have a shorter life expectancy but I'll have a more autistic ... er ... artistic one. (I withdraw, which is not the same as autism, but some days I wonder about my childhood.) In any case it is not a choice ... it's who I am.

████████ Cloudy? Think sun *Cool*! *Smile* *Smile* *Smile*
████████ Weather where I am: 65º and cloudy.
████████ Weather in Paul Smiths, New York: 51º.
████████ Weather in Saint George, Bermuda: 77º and 56 mph winds.

While Hurricane Florence is battering Bermuda, don't forget Fall. There will be frost in the Adirondacks in Northern New York tonight.

IMAGES

The reflections of clouds in puddles; the reflection of people in the pond; green coverlet of waterlilies; graceful tresses of willows; a school of ripples over the surface; a wave of boughs; ants surrounding a chocolate brownie; a maple deadened to brown and bronze; the incessant whirr of the air-conditioning; the bloom of white morning glories past the vespers hour; the copper sheen in brown and green of the "Korean Cranes Rising"; a feast of pears on the ground; Chi Omega fountain flowing; orange ripe persimmons in front of Strong Hall.

MY LIFE

I have one? **checks breathing** Yeah, it's still working, darn it.

Slept in Sunday. I'm getting enough sleep *Smile* at least. Made my normal family calls and had a nice discussion with my brother-in-law, who asked when I was going to visit. *ouch* "Never", was all I could come up with (in a small voice). At least he was kind enough to ask.

On this shortened day, I remembered to eat and read blogs. I also went to the bell concert and spoke with Elizabeth and Hatsumi (and got licked by Pom and Hina). My heel is doing much better. Afterwards I collected pears and persimmons. Very few of the students seem to notice what is ripening around them or care . Why should this surprise me? *Rolleyes* They are no longer rural or poor. And have no concept of living things. I consider this a tragedy.

It was a cool day and fairly grey. Nothing special.

POULTRY? YOU CALL THIS POULTRY?

Next time


You died in the rings of Saturn,
again in the blast of Thega's collapse;
tonight, you send an s.o.s. from Procyon.
Perhaps I'll answer. Perhaps I'll merely
send condolences. In a thousand years,
I know you'll keep the date we made before
I froze ouside the starship from Centauri.
I guess I'll answer: I love you too
in whatever form you are born in next. [163.342]

FOOTBALL

Well, it could be an interesting season here for the Jayhawks of Kansas. They barely beat Louisiana-Monroe on Saturday. If they don't play better, they won't be going to a bowl game and that'll make folks question the $1,500,000/year + they are paying the coach. It's already a sore point in this town.

Yes, pwilli , the Wildcats of Kansas State looked good. About time. My brother-in-law's team, Syracuse, barely lost. So, I called him, of course!

My professional team is the Buffalo Bills who didn't look so hot on Sunday giving up a safety to lose the game to New England. And no, Cookie ~ contemplatingareturn , I don't cheer for the Redskins! I'm more a Baltimore Orioles fan than a Ravens fan though.

BLOGVILLE

gypsy4evermore in "Invalid Entry writes about the move to Kalispell, Montana by the white supremist family, the Gaedes. The town rallied with a "No Hate" campaign. Maharani, period. writes a thought provoking entry about the word 'nigga' in: "Invalid Entry. She contends that the attempt to own it has failed.

Two pastoral entries: Mavis Moog writes about blackberries and spiders in "Invalid Entry and Voxxylady delights in September and the coming Fall in "there blooms a deathless flower.

vivacious is exploring people's portfolios. She contends we reveal alot about ourselves in our writings. I'd be curious in what she could find in my mess! Some is biographical, some sheer fantasy.

charlesthec and theivyrose will continue to be friends after they broke up. Ivy's poem: "Invalid Item.

Cookie ~ contemplatingareturn is dealing with radiation for her thyroid. Her response to me today indicates she has not lost her humor.

Some other blogs I visited: Ric The Woolicane , Forge , Wizzo , Sheherazade (think music, music, music) and had fun reading Matthew St.James (think wimpy vampires? NOT!)

A couple statements worthy of using as a prompt:

"The first day the crocus blooms" in response to "your favorite day of the year" by emmyloo
"Kiss the door" a Croatian expression from Gaby ~ Quiet contemplation . Ask her *Smile*!

And a groaner:

"Suri with a fringe on Top" re the new Cruise kid, from pwilli . His son Nicholas turns 4 today! Go say hello!!!!

© Copyright 2006 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/454071-Being-left-handed-Next-time