*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/457870-To-My-Friend
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#457870 added March 11, 2013 at 1:05pm
Restrictions: None
To My Friend
What a surreal few days it's been but very memorable and pleasant they've been too. Sarma is a lovely, easy-going, confident and warm person and I hope she enjoyed her stay with us as much as we enjoyed having her around.

She arrived rather later on Sunday than planned after rather a lot of frantic texting - 'I'm an hour away,' I'm lost,' 'I'm on the right road now,' 'I'm lost again,help,' 'I think I'm on the right road now,' 'I have no idea where I am,'lol. She finally arrived at our humble home, the Sunday roast dinner was fine and we enjoyed an evening chatting over a few drinks.

On Monday she and I did a great job of returning the car she'd hired in Bath to the company branch in Nottingham, although I'd say her driving was better than my navigating. Sarma is an amazingly relaxed driver and I have every admiration for anyone from abroad taking to our roads. Hell, I gave up driving years ago and I live here. We then went for a pub meal and a look at Nottingham Castle.

Tuesday morning my friends, John the foot tickler and Gillian visited. Sarma was quite happy to join in the reflexology session and John pleased to be introduced to a new pair of feet. In the afternoon we nipped into the small town where I live and I neglected to point out our only landmark; a statue of Harold Larwood the cricketer, who hailed from this area. Hubby had to take her back in the car yesterday, so she could take a photograph for her son. We then lazed around watching a video of my all-time favourite film, 'Shirley Valentine.' I think that makes over fifty times I've watched it, but it never fails to entertain me. In the evening another couple of our friends visited - more wine and chatter.

Wednesday hubby drove us to a few local beauty spots and famous landscapes - Sherwood Forest, Bolsover Castle, Chatsworth House and Newstead Abbey. I hope Sarma will be happy with the photographs she's taken and will, as promised, return one day to see more of Newstead Abbey. We had lunch and an evening meal out and spent another evening chatting over drinks. I will admit my glass was refilled far more often than Sarma's. *Blush* I bet that really surprises you.

This morning I've waved goodbye to Sarma as she boarded the train to London. There she will meet her daughter Annice to fly out to Latvia for a few days. It was really more 'au revoir' than goodbye though, as next Wednesday I'm going to London for Sarma's birthday and staying overnight. Still, it left me rather sad, so it was a good excuse to purchase a pair of new boots as compensation.

Sarma, when you read this please know I haven't written this tribute with that thought in mind, but as a sincere thanks for your company and warmth from my *Heart* to yours. We've been online 'chatters' for a long time, but now I'm honoured to be able to call you a true friend. Long may it continue.

So, now it's back to 'normality' for a while - catching up with the boy's travel blogs and here on WDC. Not to mention the small matter of a certain Newsletter I'm trembling at the thought of putting together.

Oh and here's the first of a few photos from the last few days. Click 'next' to see the rest.





© Copyright 2013 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/457870-To-My-Friend