*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/459629-Back-to-Base
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#459629 added October 6, 2006 at 11:38am
Restrictions: None
Back to Base
It's been a lovely mini-break in London but now it's back to the humdrum and cleaning the bog. The weather has turned pretty foul too and I suspect Sarma may appreciate the warmth of Australia when she returns tomorrow.

I travelled by coach to London as the train was far too expensive. It was a long journey but gave me chance to finish the book I started in Portugal at least. Sarma's daughter, Annice met me at the coach station in Victoria and we travelled by tube back to Richmond where Annice works.

The little hotel Sarma had booked for us in Richmond was very charming and tastefully furnished. We had a cuppa then I took a stroll to Richmond park at the top of the hill. Actually Sarma had planned on coming with me, but I misunderstood and went batting off without her. Sorry Sarma - another blonde moment. *Blush*

In the evening we made our way into central London, enjoyed an Italian meal then went to see the stage performance of Cabaret. Wonderful

The following morning Sarma and I enjoyed our breakfast sitting by the French doors in our room. Had the weather been kinder we'd planned on eating outside in the cottage garden, but it was not to be. We then wandered down to the river and sat outside with coffee and cake by which time it was starting to rain.

We perused the shops in Richmond, picked up a couple of bargains, then had a last glass of wine at the pub where Annice has been working to raise funds for her travelling. She intends returning home next January but still wants to see Morocco, Rumania and Bulgaria before then. She's visited many, many places during her travelling trip and I applaud her courage and the confidence her experiences have given her.

Me? I was quite proud of the fact I managed to find my way alone across a small part of London to the coach station. Something I've never done before but a miniscule achievement compared to these travelling youngsters.

So began the start of a very long, delayed journey home after a great couple of days. In fact I'm still bus-lagged today and way, way behind on WDC.

I hope one day to meet up with Sarma and Annice again - who knows what the future holds? But for now, I'm just thrilled to have achieved one of my ambitions - to meet up with an internet friend. What amazing things this invention brings about. A few more photos below of course - just click to see them all.


© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/459629-Back-to-Base