*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461532-Diets--Im-waiting-for-the-miracle
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#461532 added October 14, 2006 at 2:16pm
Restrictions: None
Diets--I'm waiting for the miracle
Bill has been working hard at the Atkins diet, but we aren't seeing what we'd hoped for. I've been doing it with him, only less food. I should be seeing some difference on the scale by now, but no. He is, minutely. And his blood pressure and blood sugar are down a little too, but not enough. I found the note from his doctor that said for him to keep a diary of all those stats and bring it in on the 18th. No appointment, he'll just work him in first thing in the morning. There's a lab slip for a blood draw with the diagnosis of DM, diabetes mellitis, but the date on it is November. I wish I knew what the doctor has in mind.

I also wish I knew what the FAA has in mind.

*Exclaim* *Exclaim* *Exclaim*


This has been a hard day. I would like to have stayed home and written, but couldn't. Went to visit the patient who bought his wife the wedding ring. He's a double amputee, the second surgery fairly recent and not healing well. He needs a special antibiotic, but it costs over $2000. He and his wife live in one bedroom of a single wide owned by an old couple she takes care of. He's a boyish little guy, freckles and sparkly eyes, in his early 60's at the most.

He was complaining today that he didn't want to have someone have to come stay with him tomorrow. "I've always been kind of a longer [sic] and I'd like to be alone." I think he's trying a little manipulation to get me on his side. His wife heard him tell his sad tale, and she got mad and cried. She says he can't stay by himself. "He might choke, or fall off the bed, or go to sleep with a lit cigarette in his hand." It is a thankless job she has, and she's burned out before. She's near it again. We're trying to get her some help.

The trailer had dozens of flies in it, and the cigarette smoke was thick. I keep hand sanitizer in my car, so I used that right away and drove on into town with all the windows down, cool or not. I couldn't get that smell out. I asked his nurse how she handles that, and she said she carries Fabreze in the car. I went out with her, and she sprayed me off. It must have helped because I didn't notice it any more.

I told the man that his wife is on his side, that she wants the best for him, and he said he knew it. That's what Bill said to me the other night when he wanted more and other to eat. "I know you're on my side." Not, "I know you're on my side but...." That was a good thing to say. *Thumbsup* *Thumbsup* *Thumbsup*


*Pthb* *Pthb* *Pthb*

Don't you wish you were going to Byron, Illinois, tomorrow???

What! You haven't heard? It's the
27th Annual Turkey Testicle Festival!!

Bet you can't say that ten times fast!

*Laugh* *Laugh* *Laugh* *Laugh* *Laugh* *Laugh*

© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461532-Diets--Im-waiting-for-the-miracle