*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461685-
by Wren
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #1096245
Just play: don't look at your hands!
#461685 added October 14, 2006 at 5:17pm
Restrictions: None
“Wren, that’s Frederick’s ex-wife!” continued
“Oh my, that is a bit of a blunder, isn’t it? Are you sure?” asked Wren.

“I know his ex-wife’s name is Celia, and she’s a librarian,” said Margot.

“You don’t’ suppose it could be just a coincidence, do you? No, I guess that’s wishful thinking. Well now, what would you like me to do? I’ll be glad to make excuses for you, or whatever you want. It’s up to you.”

“I don’t know what to do! I guess I should have seen this coming. If I knew whether she knows, about Frederick and me that is, that might help.”

“How would she know that? Unless she’s still in touch with Frederick and he’s told her. If that’s the case, you don’t have anything to worry about. But I’m almost sure she doesn’t know.”

“What makes you think that?”

“She would have mentioned it by now. I’ve been out to lunch with her twice. Let me see…your name did come up sometime, but I don’t remember how or why.”

“I haven’t told you, and we're old friends. Why would she?”

“That is a point. Why haven’t you mentioned it?” Wren looked at her oddly.

“I don’t know. I just felt like keeping it quiet and watching, I guess.”

“Keeping quiet? That’ll be a first! But watching...? What have you been watching for?”

“I’m not sure, but I thought she might have moved here to spy on Fred. But you say she’s married? I didn’t know that!”

“Who’s married? What have I missed out on, letting you ladies dish out your juicy gossip without me? “ asked Fred as he handed Margot a shawl. “I hope this will do. It was hanging on a peg by the door, and I wanted to hurry back here to see what you two are cooking up.”

Margot and Wren exchanged glances. “Celia’s married,” Margot said.

“Celia who? My Celia…I mean, my ex-Celia?”

“The Celia who’s in the back yard with her husband and Bernard. We don’t know whose Celia she is, or was, but she’s our neighbor now.”

“You mean the lady who moved in next door is Celia? That’s impossible,” Frederick said.

© Copyright 2006 Wren (UN: oldcactuswren at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Wren has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/461685-