*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/465171-Theres-no-Place-Like-Home
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#465171 added October 29, 2006 at 6:24pm
Restrictions: None
There's no Place Like Home?
It's been a rather harrowing few days preparing Nottingham for the arrival of an ark and looking into the possibilities of travelling to the CC boat yard, but at least it's kept my mind off other things for a while.

I was rather concerned last week to learn my son and his travelling companion were to split up and do their own things for a few days. They had travelled to Saigon, or Ho Chi Minh City as it's now called, although even the locals still refer to it as Saigon apparently. Mark left the next day with some other backpackers to travel into Cambodia by boat, but Paul decided to stay alone a while longer in Saigon, then travel into Cambodia by bus. I use the term' alone' loosely as it seems there are so many foreign travellers in S.E. Asia you're never alone for long if you're carrying a backpack. But it was still worrying.

I was relieved this morning to access their travel blogs and read they are now reunited in Phnom Penh. It sounds like they've found the visits to the Killing Fields and prisons a very interesting but sobering experience. Life today in Cambodia sounds far from ideal too, but they're certainly experiencing different cultures to the full. Thank you to all of you who have read and commented on their blogs.

I was rather amused by Paul's statement,' Vietnam now rates as my number one country in the world.' He's hardly the seasoned traveller as yet and I remember him saying the same thing about Australia a few years ago after his visit. Time will tell whether or not he changes his opinion.

But it got me thinking which is my favourite country. I'm not that well-travelled either but have visited three Greek islands, France, Switzerland, Northern Italy, Ibiza, Tunisia, Cyprus, Sardinia and Portugal. I was also in St Louis, Missouri for a year of my life, but as it was my first my memory fails me. I think I'd choose Portugal from my list.

So which is your favourite country or place? I suspect many will say their hometown. Admittedly England has its beauty spots and is renowned for its history and green landscapes. We have a beautiful coastline, quaint villages and in my opinion London has to be one of the best cities in the world but I could never claim its the best place on earth.

Still, over the next few weeks who knows where we may visit? Okay it might only be cybertravel but it keeps this tiny mind amused. I look forward to the development of our adventure. And for those who've not yet become involved, here's the link to a place called insanity. *Laugh*


 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1172044 by Not Available.


© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/465171-Theres-no-Place-Like-Home