*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS

Member Blogs

Offsite Blogs

Writing Links

More Links
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/465327-Relationships
by Kenzie
Rated: ASR · Book · Writing · #1160028
Fibro fog, pain, writing sandwiched in between. Quotes. Sermon notes. Encouragement.
#465327 added January 11, 2007 at 12:10pm
Restrictions: None
Relationships
Yesterday, our pastor spoke about how to have successful relationships. As I listened, I realized what had so frustrated me about the "conversations" I tried to have in
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1104574 by Not Available.
.

With Christians, everything is about building relationships. We're geared up for relationships because being a Christian is having a relationship with Christ.

Having Internet relationships isn't always easy. One cannot see facial expressions or hear voice tones. All we can rely on are the words on a page.

At the above mentioned forum, there really isn't conversation or dialogue going on. Developing friendships is not the goal. Rather, Christians ask questions of Muslims, who answer with their own questions. There really is not a give and take going on at all.

Our pastor reminded us of an old Chinese Proverb: "Seek to understand before seeking to be understood." I believe that's what should be happening in a forum designed to have conversations between people of different faiths.
Or as Philippians 2:4 NIV says, "Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others."

I smiled as our pastor used the term "relationship rubble." And I wrote it down. He said, "relationship rubble is what heppens when you tear down with words."

Proverbs 17:17 NIV says, "A friend loves at all times." I had never really thought about it this way, but our pastor also said that genuine friends take sides. They do! And perhaps that's why the forum entries sometimes bother me.

The Bible tells us in Revelation 3:14-16 that our deeds should not be lukewarm. The lukewarm person does not become greatly disturbed at hearing heretical teaching, and is not vigorous in the defense of the truth. This spirit of indifference is the most tragic thing that can happen to a church. I thought about this as our pastor spoke the words, "Genuine friends take sides." More and more, our freedoms to be and practice Christianity are being eroded. Shouldn't we - as friends of Jesus - be taking his side?

Isn't it time that we put on the whole armor of God? That we are girded in truth, have the breastplate of righteousness, are shod with the preparation of the Gospel? With these and the shield of faith, the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, we can and must be willing to defend the faith, here and in the world. (See Ephesians 6:13-18.)

© Copyright 2007 Kenzie (UN: kenzie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kenzie has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/465327-Relationships