*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467028-Talk-At-Me
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#467028 added November 6, 2006 at 6:59pm
Restrictions: None
Talk At Me
I have a friend I went to college with I nicknamed 'By the Same Token,' because she uses the expression so often. Anyway, last night I decided it was time I gave her a long overdue phone call, something I always dread. I lined up my drinks, snacks and cigarettes then dialled.

'Hello, I didn't know if you'd be in tonight.'

'Not usually...pub...ill...faint...neck...physio...by the same token...work tomorrow.'

'How is the job?'

'Terrible...paperwork...meetings...wages...pension...by the same token...retirement.'

'Well, can't you...?'

'No...outgoings...new roof...bathroom...kitchen units...plumbers...by the same token...boilers...daughter's wedding.'

'How are the...?'

'Wedding...bridesmaids...honeymoon...holidays...by the same token...grandchildren.'

'I better go now...'

'Did I tell you...daughters...ex-hubby...more holidays...weight...by the same token...granchildren again.'

'I really must go.'

'Okay...college reunion...cinema...theatre...restaurant...by the same token...holidays...grandchildren.'

YAWN 'Okay I'm going now.' CLICK

No 'How are you?' 'Where's Paul now?' 'Are you coping with the parents?' 'How's the writing going?' or 'Tell me your news.'

Is it any wonder I hate telephones? But by the same token at least they keep me in touch with my travelling son. The one who has a severe eye infection at the moment and cannot travel into Thailand as the infection is contagious, so has had to part from his friend again and remain in Cambodia. Plus the fact his mobile isn't working but by the same token at least we have his travel blog. Except he hasn't made an entry and we're a bit worried. But by the same token, no news is good news they say.


© Copyright 2006 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467028-Talk-At-Me