*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467668-Five-Years-Today
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#467668 added July 17, 2009 at 9:00pm
Restrictions: None
Five Years Today
When I signed in this morning the date made me hesitate for a moment until I realised it was FIVE years ago today I decided to join this site. I don't remember how I came across WDC or what happened on that particular November 9th but not for one minute could I have imagined the difference it would make to my life five years on.

One of my favourite uncles used to say it's a good job we don't know what's going to happen in the future and I tend to agree. Oh, in some ways it would be an advantage to be forewarned of certain things we'd have preferred not to happen or know we'd handle differently given the opportunity, but on the whole I'd rather leave the future to pan out by itself.

I'm not sure I believe everything happens for a reason but I can look back and see where certain regrettable incidents have gone on to present me with welcome opportunities. One thing I'm sure of is that out of all the writing sites online I'm glad I chose this one.

My first few months on here were rather inactive and it took me a long time to work out how certain things worked and how to get things into my portfolio. There then followed a spasmodic relationship where I enjoyed receiving and giving reviews, learning more about the site and achieving some success in contests.

I then made a few contacts and enjoyed using the site on a daily basis, loading more work into my portfolio and upgrading my membership to be able to take advantage of more features.

Eighteen months ago I saw the introduction to the 'blog' on the site. And the rest is history to use a worn-out cliche. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine the impact, involvement and relationships this simple activity would bring.

So here I sit five years on pondering on all that has happened during those years. Some good things, some bad, some happy times, some periods wracked with anxiety, but such is the way of life and I'm just grateful to have had those years and particularly for the joy and friendship I have found here.

Five years ago I could never have imagined my son would be travelling around the world and that it would be the invention of the 'blog' that would keep me in touch with him and able to read of his adventures. I'm happy too, on my fifth anniversary to be involved in an adventure of my own, albeit fictional and rather zany to say the least. How great it is that so many like-minded writers can produce something so funny and spontaneous.

I apologise for falling behind on reading and commenting but I've had a lot on lately, but I just wanted to say a big thank you to all my friends and readers on this special day. Special because of you special people.

Sniffle...Cheers...Here's to you...Hic...and I WUB you all.

© Copyright 2009 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/467668-Five-Years-Today