*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/474415-Why
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #932855
Empty or full, shiny or a little in need of washing and sometimes just cracked!
#474415 added May 6, 2010 at 6:31pm
Restrictions: None
Why?
The usual supermarket run and delivering to parents as is set in stone for every Monday, except today the shop had that manic air about it which always starts around this time of year. What is it with people?

They dash round piling a dozen of everything in their already overloaded trolleys as if Humbug is tomorrow. Are they scared the shops will sell out before they've stocked up enough stuff in their own cupboards to last until next August? Are they terrified they may risk starvation during the ONE day the shops will be closed? I just don't understand the panic.

And how come if one family has enough stuff in their trolleys to feed the whole of Nottinghamshire, the whole of Nottinghamshire are still in the shop loading up their trolleys too? Surely those being fed and watered by others should be sitting at home with their feet up?

Monday is normally a quiet day at the supermarket but today it was mayhem. It's two bloody weeks before Humbug I want to yell. And where do all these people come from all of a sudden? Surely they haven't finished work yet? The only explanation is there must be more people on the planet during December than other months. Maybe they come from planet Humbug or something just to join us for our 'celebrations.'

I have a friend who always writes her Humbug cards and sticks stamps on them on August 31st. We are good friends despite being chalk and cheese and always talk straight to each other with no damage done. She's a bit of a penny-pincher despite having a lot of money so I remind her what a waste it would be if she popped her clogs before posting those cards in December and what if some of the recipients fell off their perches before the great day arrived? But she continues to do it because she claims it saves time.

Saves time for what? To pack her suitcase for her summer holiday on Boxing Day? You can't save time - it rattles along whatever we do and time spent doing Humbug things is time used whenever you choose to do it. I'm getting my knickers in a twist so I'd better go. Off to the gym - a bit earlier than usual - maybe it will save some time I can store in a bottle for another day. Gawd, people never fail to amaze me.



© Copyright 2010 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/474415-Why