*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483216-Ever-eat-soap-by-choice
Rated: 18+ · Book · Family · #1201314
Who am I, Where am I Going, and Where have I been? The story of my life!
#483216 added January 23, 2007 at 6:46pm
Restrictions: None
Ever eat soap by choice?
Jan 23, 2007

Many of us have been made to eat soap, but have any of you ever tasted it by choice?  When I was a kid, soap smelled like soap.  Period.  You washed with it. You were threatened with having your mouth washed out with it.  You watched commercials of people using stuff that supposedly made you smell really good and wanted to try it.  ( I loved the Irish Spring commercials as a kid) *Laugh* but none of that prepared me for motherhood.

When my daughter was younger and took a bath instead of a shower, she had soap crayons.  They wrote on her, on the wall and on her toys.  Usually it came off.  Except for the blue ones.  They also had bubbles.  Which we didn't use very often because I was informed it could cause a UTI.  She has been made to taste soap on a very rare occasion, many moons ago.  It's not a choice she would make willingly today.

My son is 4.  My sister, for Christmas bought him  a spiderman basketball hoop and spongy ball for the bathtub.  The only time J takes a shower is if daddy is in there.  I used to shower with him but quit about a year ago.  Not because it wasn't appropriate..because at that point he could have cared less but because when Mommy was in the shower with him, he wanted to be held.  Because he could then reach the showerhead.  That was fine at 1 and 2. But he was getting a bit tall and a bit heavy to be holding in the slippery shower.  Until a couple of months ago, he showered with his sister occasionally.  Ok, who am I kidding, at least twice a week.  It was easier.  But then he did start noticing the differences, she is starting to develop, she wanted her privacy, he wanted to touch.  NOT a good combination.  So now, unless he can shower with Daddy-and that's usually only on Sunday morning-he takes a bath. 

Let me interject.

My daughter is a picky eater.  You can't tell that by looking at her because she loves to eat the foods she likes.  And while she's not as picky as she used to be ( I could write an entire blog on what she put me through as a toddler and preschooler) she's still rather picky.  And her food can't touch...I digress.  My son is NOT a picky eater.  Not at all.  As a matter of fact there is little he doesn't like.  If dad will eat it, so will he.  Usually.  My problem with him is that while he will eat anything that won't eat him first, he doesn't eat much of any of it. 

My point?  Remember back to the spiderman basketball goal and spongy ball...it came with a bottle of berry scented foaming soap.  We hadn't tried it out until this evening.  I sprayed it on him.  He loved it, thought it was cool.  Thought it smelled great.  I don't know that he's ever commented on how something smelled.  And as he's playing in it (it's alot like playing in shaving cream) he was commenting on what he could do with it.  He could smoosh it.  He could could pat it.  He could rub it.  He could smell it.  He could taste it.  He says this while he does each thing.  And before I could tell him not to, he tasted the soap.  With purple foam on his lips, I told him we don't eat that J. 

He says "Why mom?"  "Because it's soap dear"  says I. 

Now, you would think, with it in his mouth, he would understand this.  Make a face.  Spit it out. 
His response
"OH"

Still shaking my head over that one.  I'm curious as to whether it tastes like it smells (not enough to find out though)  Or whether it tastes like soap.  He did not choose to eat anymore..so I guess it's not yummy anyway.

I am thankful today for laughter. Hugs.  And the smiles on my kids faces.

Blessings
Vicky

© Copyright 2007 hoosiermomma2 (UN: hoosiermomma2 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
hoosiermomma2 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/483216-Ever-eat-soap-by-choice