*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496160-Down-With-Love
Rated: 13+ · Book · Mystery · #1222498
A place for random thoughts, ideas, and fun!
#496160 added March 19, 2007 at 10:32am
Restrictions: None
Down With Love
4,000,000 women in the . . . city, and the one you let get away, the one you had to get on the bad side of, is the one all the other 4,000,000 are listening to.


Down With Love is a zany Pillow Talk type comedy, a farce in the vein of a ‘60s Rock Hudson/Doris Day film. 

Set in New York City in 1962, the campy film is terrific at making fun of itself.  The dialogue is witty and quick-paced.  The film is full of innuendos, references to the burgeoning space race, and other allusions to the time period.

Renée Zellweger plays Barbara Novak, a writer who’s come to NY to promote her self-help book for women, Down with Love.  She plays her character way over the top, but I think it works perfectly in this film.

Hunky Ewan McGregor is playboy Catcher Block – “ladies’ man, man’s man, man about town” - star reporter for KNOW magazine.  He agrees to interview Barbara for the magazine, but repeatedly stands her up.  The relationship that ensues as a result is a wacky battle of the genders, with many twists and turns.  I first went to see this film because (I’ll admit it!) I have a huge crush on my man, Ewan.  He certainly did not disappoint.  I've watched it countless times, since then.

David Hyde Pierce is perfect as the neurotic owner of KNOW magazine, playing the Tony Randall type character.  His facial expressions and comedic timing elevate his character beyond a supporting role. 

My only disappointment was that Ewan did not sing throughout the film.  If you’ve never heard him sing, his voice is as smooth as melted butter.  Be sure to hang on through the end credits, when he and Renée do a duet. 

The film is a gem that was looked over by film critics and viewers.  Neither my husband nor I can figure out why.  The duet at the end should have been nominated for best song. 

So grab a bar of chocolate sit down to watch Down With Love.

~~~~~
**Yes, Seisa, it does have a few songs in it.  Sorry about that!**


My new siggy - thank you Seisa!

Amygdalia



© Copyright 2007 Merry Mumsy (UN: amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Merry Mumsy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/496160-Down-With-Love