*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/502692-Reventing
Rated: GC · Book · Personal · #1051691
It's about adventure! Life, Scouting, Family, writing what else is there?
#502692 added April 19, 2007 at 6:54am
Restrictions: None
Reventing
Sweeties, we were just talking about Reviews and how hard it is - I thought I'd share a little bit of the reason as to why the frustration is "sky high." Here's a recent example.

I reviewed a short story. Techincally and structurally it had A LOT of flaws. For one, the POV narration skipped and while it started in first person at one point it was third person. There were no line breaks to indicate a shift in POV or a shift in scene. There was other stuff, too. Again, a lot of judging criteria came from

SELF EDITING FOR THE FICTION WRITER

This is what I got:

The story is multiple first-person.
Line breaks indicate switching between narrators.
Re-read.


I just wanted to grit my teeth in frustration.

#1 - If anyone is serious about publishing, one of the #1 rules is keep the POV consistant. (even if it is a Lonesome Dove perspective) Multiple 1st person? For readers that is simply too confusing to follow!

#2 - There were no established linebreaks. In fact, here on WDC the spacing wasn't doubled and it was hard for me to read. I had to squint my eyes. If you're going to put up something for me to read and review, at least make it easy on my computer eyes. Sigh...

#3 - I have no intention of re-reading unless someone takes my suggestions to heart, does an edit and improves the story.

Going off to have another cup of coffee and relax....
Steph

© Copyright 2007 StephBee - GOT Survivor (UN: sgcardin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
StephBee - GOT Survivor has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/502692-Reventing