*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505062-News-Views-and-Reviews
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#505062 added July 23, 2012 at 4:55am
Restrictions: None
News, Views and Reviews.
I was quite pleased when the option to request a review with a rating was introduced. I always disliked those anonymous reviews, particularly the very low ones when no explanation need be given as to why the reader didn’t like the piece.

I have been slowly altering all the work in my folder to the new reviewing option, which has meant my editing has brought in quite a few reviews. My policy as regards reviews is to always thank the person and return a review at some stage. It’s only good manners in my humble opinion. I quite enjoy reviewing when time allows and I take it seriously. I try to be constructive and offer advice if needed without being over-critical. I was really chuffed when Budroe thanked me publically in his blog for pointing out something about one of his stories which made him see it in a different light. Helping another writer and receiving thanks is a top priority on a writing site in my book.

Amongst my reviews was one which stated...

‘i thoght it was okay.’

My sarcastic head was tempted to send an immediate reply thanking the reader for a really helpful, constructive review and suggesting they maybe join a grammar and spelling forum. But, one thing I have learned in life is to try and think things through from all angles. Jumping in with both feet, all guns blazing is fine if you know a person well and understand their circumstances, but not appropriate with someone you know nothing or little about, as in this instance. The reviewer had rated my story at 3.5 which is above average and hadn’t been negative or offensive. Without the facts I couldn’t be sure if the reviewer was maybe a youngster, someone with English as a second language or handicapped in some way, so it wasn’t appropriate in my mind to respond negatively. At least they’d given me a review of sorts, so I let it be.

This morning I received two further reviews from the same member. Both were longer, more complimentary but full of errors. My cynical head pondered if someone was having a laugh or winding me up, but again I ignored the critical thoughts and thanked the person for the kind reviews. As I said, my policy is to return reviews, so curiosity led me to the reviewer’s folder. I discovered a lady with the courage to confess in her Bio that although she loves to write, she has a terrible grasp of spelling and would appreciate readers reviewing her work and pointing out any errors. Recognising our faults and weaknesses is something to be admired in a person and the quick look I took at her folder; assured me here is someone who uses a spell checker wisely and tries very hard to overcome her problems. I shall certainly take some time to review her writing and if I can be of some assistance, then that’s an added bonus.

We can't turn every negative into a positive, but it’s certainly possible and a much better feeling than inappropriate anger over something we didn’t take the time to look into, in order to see the complete picture. Generally it's best to try and wear a cautious, truthful and pleasant head.

© Copyright 2012 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/505062-News-Views-and-Reviews