*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/513506-Memo-to-Mnemosyne
Rated: 13+ · Book · Personal · #982524
Online journal capturing the moment and the memory of moments. A meadow meditation.
#513506 added June 7, 2007 at 10:51pm
Restrictions: None
Memo to Mnemosyne.
Memo to Mnemosyne

Dear Memory;

Raw thoughts of how your daughters have maltreated me would find an unsafe harbor here save for your son. He makes me live this moment with no anguish for the past, no worry for a future fast. "Be present!" 's what he barks, then laughs.

But not your daughters who remind me of my weeping, wails, enough to dry me out. I thirst for gentle rains of healing from their daily dose of pain.

O Mnemosyne! Why can't these memories stay locked in some dark corner of the mind, safe from miners who would steal their gems, disturb the iron-bled shafts, exposing what was mine to hide forever?

Terpsicore has danced her melody (a tune I can't forget) while Eutrope has inked the essence of my life in words. And dear Erato smirks her knowing, makes my heart erratic with deep blushing thoughts.

Your son. Yes, he removes the grey from sky replaces black with blue and dun with yellow. He's such a cheerful fellow and he's mine, all mine! My mighty Muse of sunshine, breeze and joy who still remains unmentioned throughout history, known only to your daughters and to me; to you, your beaming boy.

© Kåre Enga [164.104] 07-06-05

Mnemosyne: (Greek Mνημοσύνη, IPA [nɪˈmɒzɪni] in RP and [nɪˈmɑsəni] in General American) Therefore ... 4 syllables as does Terpsichore [ˌtərpˈsɪkəri]. Euterpe and Erato are 3 syllables with the stress on the second syllable.

Links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemosyne
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muse

IMAGES:

Fragrance of the gloaming: fireflies; drumstick allium; white shasta daisy among grey lamb's-ear, pink valerian and blue hued larkspur; the yellow coreopsis, pale primrose; the hollyhocks and echinecea.

OVERHEARD:

"Around here normal is just a setting on the washing machine", Kelly.

FAR OFF THOUGHTS:

How do I use quotes of Churchill that use abstract words to weave a poem that captures the essence of Scandinavia? From the fertile fields and cold grey shores of Danmarka to the wooded hills, the royal oaks, common hazel and bogs of Sverige to the majestic mountain glaciers, fjords and the clinging to the edge of nothing of Noreg ... how do I capture what is Scandinavia? Or do I try to show the joy and angst of the diaspora to Sicily, Scotland, to Iceland and the Volga, onward to America?

In far off lands of ice and snow and fire
where now our children's children slave,
we made a living by what we got;
we made a life by what we gave


The italicized quote from Churchill (changed to past tense) is one of the prompts for the contest by kiyasama.
0719

© Copyright 2007 Kåre Enga in Montana (UN: enga at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Kåre Enga in Montana has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/513506-Memo-to-Mnemosyne