*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/516602-Quotes
Rated: 18+ · Book · Women's · #1268197
Drop by drop the snow pack dies, watering the arid lands below.
#516602 added June 21, 2007 at 7:40pm
Restrictions: None
Quotes
17 Nur 164 BE – Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:34:39 PM PDT

OK, I’m on somebody’s snail mailing list. Today I got a letter asking me if I had a favorite scriptural quote. The letter defined favorite scriptural quote as one that provides comfort and confirms God’s promise through His sacred word. As a matter of fact, I do have several favorite scriptures. Some of my favorite sacred quotes are from the Baha’i Scriptures; some are from the Bible, the Qur’an, the Bhagavad Gita, etc. I find verses in all the Sacred Books that both provide comfort and confirm God’s promise.

The scriptures I’m attracted to cover sever different subjects. One of this is from the Bhagavad Gita Edwin Arnold’s translation. This quote discusses opposites and firmness in faith, it attracted me because humanity is a dual natured creature with a body and soul, humanity is a creature of opposites built into the model.
By passion for the "pairs of opposites,"
By those twain snares of Like and Dislike, Prince!
All creatures live bewildered, save some few
Who, quit of sins, holy in act, informed,
Freed from the "opposites," and fixed in faith,
Cleave unto Me.
Hindu, Bhagavad Gita (Edwin Arnold tr)


Another is a quote from The Bab that defines worship and love of God.
WORSHIP thou God in such wise that if thy worship lead thee to the fire, no alteration in thine adoration would be produced, and so likewise if thy recompense should be paradise. Thus and thus alone should be the worship which befitteth the one True God. Shouldst thou worship Him because of fear, this would be unseemly in the sanctified Court of His presence, and could not be regarded as an act by thee dedicated to the Oneness of His Being. Or if thy gaze should be on paradise, and thou shouldst worship Him while cherishing such a hope, thou wouldst make God's creation a partner with Him, notwithstanding the fact that paradise is desired by men.
The Bab, Selections from the Writings of the Bab, p. 77


So I can’t give one favorite scripture verse when asked the question. I’ve found that I have different favorite quotes at different times in my life. For instance, I’ve been going through some difficulties lately so my favorite quote from the writings of Baha’u’llah is this.
Be generous in prosperity, and thankful in adversity.
Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 284


I’m still not sure how I got on the snail mail list. I probably sent for something that was free and they put me on their list. I can’t remember what I sent for, so it probably didn’t make a big impression on me. I suppose I should try to get off it, I have way too much “junk” mail coming to the house and to my e-mail boxes. I think what I’m going to have to do is just consider how much I’m interested in a freebee before sending for it. Actually, nothing is free, there is always some price to pay for whatever one gets, with the “freebees” it’s usually only a way to get you on a mailing list that is eventually sold to similar lists. The price I pay for requesting “free” stuff is a mail box, actually an entrance hall, full of junk (I don’t have a mail box, the postman puts the mail though a slot in my door). The price humanity pays for all this mail that ends up shredded and in a landfill is the lose of trees. I think I’m going to think before sending for “free” stuff anymore and asks a few important questions of myself.

© Copyright 2007 Prosperous Snow celebrating (UN: nfdarbe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Prosperous Snow celebrating has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/516602-Quotes