*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518977-Murphy-Goes-Abroad
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #1219658
Another plate full of the meat and vegetables of my life.
#518977 added September 10, 2007 at 3:50pm
Restrictions: None
Murphy Goes Abroad
I'm not sure if Murphy intended going away with us or just wanted to prevent us leaving at all, but either way he sure excelled himself on the day of our departure.

I woke early to the familiar sound of torrential rain and struggled through it to the dentists. The receptionist informed me the dentist I was supposed to see couldn't get into the surgery due to floods and I'd have to make another appointment.

After rolling around on the carpet screaming and punching everything within fist's reach, she relented and agreed to fit me in to see another dentist. Delinquent tooth was semi-fixed but I already knew it was going to cause problems while away.

After lunch, fresh air for mine, we set off for the airport. Driving down our road we encountered our son driving up it. A quick conversation revealed he'd walked out of his job after being chastised for something he hadn't done. Admittedly, it was only a temporary, agency job, but still not a wise move when you're in debt. But there was no time to voice our concerns and suspicions, so we carried on our way with added worries.

I cannot describe the weather conditions on what should have been a forty minute drive to Doncaster. Freaky is hardly adequate and I've never seen anything like it in my life. The windscreen wipers couldn't cope, condensation steamed up inside the windows, the sky was as black as night and lakes of huge proportions flooded many roads. Traffic jams, roadworks and diversions all added to the horror and after a couple of hours we were well and truly lost. Eventually, we found the road to the airport only to discover it had been closed. After driving aimlessly I managed to find the road atlas and direct hubby via an alternative route. Who says women can't read maps?

By this time we were resigned to missing our flight but continued onwards. We arrived at the airport with ten minutes to spare but couldn't find a parking space. I dashed through the rain and wind in sandals and shorts with an inside-out umbrella and managed to locate a rep from the company. She phoned to hold the flight until hubby arrived.

We were rushed through check in and passport control and dashed to the departure gate just as an announcement was made that our flight was delayed. An hour later after waiting around in a crowded lounge, we boarded the plane. Once seated I found myself trapped in a kid sandwich; the kicking, screaming variety at the back and the look-at-me, peep-bo type at the front. I sometimes think they should ban kids instead of smoking.

Eventually, meals were brought round and despite knowing I'd be restricted as to what I could eat, I really was getting very hungry. It became apparent we'd been missed off the list and after checking, the air hostess informed us that yes, we had booked meals, but sadly there was only one left. I agreed to let hubby have the meal and I'd settle for sucking on a cheese sammich which arrived with a Mars bar. I don't know if you're familiar with those, but they're about the chewiest, stickiest chocolate bar imaginable and I wouldn't risk eating one even with a full set of perfect teeth. I traded it in for hubby's chocolate mousse.

Eventually, our flight landed, we were transferred to our hotel, dumped our luggage and decided to sup a few vinos on the balcony before going to bed. Hubby proceeded to knock his glass off the table and we spent a happy half an hour picking up shards of glass from the floor before retiring. The end of a perfect day.

I'll write more about the holiday and post photos once I've sorted them, but for now I have to go and meet Big Pam. I just hope she doesn't insist on coffee too soon.

To all those who celebrate the day I wish you a happy July 4th. As many of you already know my father is American, like Bruce Springsteen I was born in the U.S.A. and hold an American passport. So even though I live in England I am not a true Brit at all, so will raise a glass or ten later and join in your celebrations. Cheers.

© Copyright 2007 Scarlett (UN: scarlett_o_h at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Scarlett has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/518977-Murphy-Goes-Abroad