*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/526261-Fishy-tales
by Hezza
Rated: E · Book · Personal · #1299601
Random ramblings that will hopefully benefit my writing somehow
#526261 added August 6, 2007 at 6:25pm
Restrictions: None
Fishy tales
We've almost finished the roof now; if the weather is good after work tomorrow, we might even be able to let the cats out tomorrow. What a relief that will be: I can't wait to be rid of smelly litter trays and dusty cat-prints all over the hallway (and my work shirt (black), when I forget to check their paws before cuddling them).

We were out working on the run tonight, and I was thinking how funny the rabbits and guinne-pigs look, because they are all fascinated by our activity. They all sit there and peer out of the edge of their hutches, trying to see what it is that we are doing. The guinnea-pigs even put their front paws up on their mesh to try and get a better look. One is cream with brown splodge on his back right quarter, and the paw there is also brown, while the others are pink. The other is a mixture of browns, whites and beige, and has one black paw, one pink paw (the front two) and two brown paws.

I was commenting to my partner that it's weird that our skin doesn't seem to take the pigment of our hair. If you look at an animal, their skin tends to be the same colour as the fur over it. Shave a cat, and the skin underneath reflects the pattern of the fur (you can see this on 'hairless' cats like the sphynx). Likewise for guinnea-pigs. Why are humans not the same? Why do black-haired people not have black heads, and red-haired people have red heads (literally, not figuratively)?

That made it sound like I routinely go around shaving cats, didn't it? I don't, but it would be quite funny if I did: if you've ever seen a shaved cat, you'll understand what I mean!

***

I've been reading through a book of weird newspaper stories, and I've come across one that is absolutely ridiculous. Apparently, a 4ft-long porpoise was once discovered propped up in the gents lavatory in Glasgow Central Station. One guy told the Times "we had heavy rain and there was flooding, but this is ridiculous". As someone who has spent a lot of time in and around Glasgow Central, I really can't understand how someone could get a porpoise into the station without anyone noticing. I mean, if you passed someone carrying a porpoise up the street in the middle of a city, would you not wonder what the hell they were up to? Besides which, why exactly would you want to carry a porpoise into the centre of Glasgow anyway?

I have been going through some of my old emails, and finally tracked down some old pieces of my work. Whilst at Uni, I spent an Industrial Placement year working for BAE Systems, as a project manager. I used to get my partner to set me prompts for my lunch breaks, in the hope of improving my writing by getting me to try things that are a bit different. Most of the work is pretty shocking, having been done quickly and 'forced' to focus on a particular subject, but it was a good exercise for writing purposes. I now cannot remember what all the prompts were, but I still have the work, and am going to put it up here.

I would appreciate any feedback that people feel like giving. Cheers.

© Copyright 2007 Hezza (UN: hezza1506 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Hezza has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/526261-Fishy-tales