*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/530848-CRISIS
Rated: 13+ · Book · Romance/Love · #1311106
Trying something different, a work in progress -
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#530848 added August 29, 2007 at 4:51pm
Restrictions: None
CRISIS
Driving on the winding roads required much attention on Colin's part. Elizabeth was content to let the beauty of the country sink into her soul. The sky was an intense blue, feeling a bit like another 'top of the world' experience. She glanced at Colin, whose attention was turned to her once more. He pulled off the road and suggested they stretch their legs. It would be a good change, and she welcomed the chance to take a walk toward the ocean. What amazing pictures she could take there. The waves were rolling in, crashing against rocks, and rolling back out as if with a promise they would return.

"Colin, you can't imagine how much this means to me! I've collected memories enough to last me two lifetimes." Colin smiled "What would you think of living here? You could always travel back to the States and your children could..." he stopped as his cellphone rang. "Colin here" he said, and then was quiet, turning away from Elizabeth. After a few minutes, she heard him say "You were right to call me. We will head back to Shannon right away" as he disconnected.

He turned to her. "Kathleen - we have to go back. I am sorry.."

"What's wrong, Colin? Is it your parents?" He shook his head. "I'm afraid it is you who has some bad news waiting, Kathleen. Your son has been in a bad accident..."
Kathleen's eyes widened, as if the words she was hearing couldn't be right. "Is he in the hospital? Is he going to be all right?"

Colin put his arm around her and guided her back to the car. "He is in the hospital, in intensive care. They've asked that you get there as soon as possible. I'm taking you to the Shannon Airport and getting you on the first plane out."

She stared at him in disbelief. "Colin, can you come with me? I don't think I can go through this alone."

"You are a stronger lady than you give yourself credit for" he said, "you will be fine.
Your daughter will be meeting you at the airport in Boston, and driving you to the hospital. This is not a trip that I can take with you. I have to take care of some things here but I will be in touch with you by phone. You need to call me as soon as you arrive and let me know how your son is doing."

Kathleen sank back in the seat, and closed her eyes. "I never should have..."
and then the tears came. She might lose her son, undoubtably she would lose Colin.
She steeled herself for the days ahead. Alone.

At the airport, Colin saw to the return ticket and her luggage. Another trip through customs, asking if she had anything to declare. She shook her head, there was nothing that was not duty free.. Colin had taken care of her purchases, getting them off by post to her home address.

They waited together for her plane to start boarding. He held her hand and looked away when she started to cry. Turning back to her, his face had become stoney, as if he was holding whatever thoughts he had inside. His brown eyes spoke volumes, though, and she knew he was hating to see her have to leave.

Her flight was announced over the loudspeaker. Colin stood up with her and walked her to the boarding gate. "Remember to call me - I will be waiting to hear." he said. She could only nod, wiping away the tears that came. He bent to kiss her as the final boarding call sounded. He watched as she walked away, like a frightened doe. How he wished that he could have flown with her. He hadn't told her that his father was also in the hospital, suffering from a heart attack. He might not make it.

Colin watched as the plane taxied down the runway then lifted off into the sky. Life was not fair, for either of them, he thought. He walked out of the airport to his car and thought about the drive to the local hospital, where his father was hanging on in intensive care.

Back in his car, he sat quietly for a few minutes. So much had happened, so fast. He wondered if he would ever see her again, and his heart ached with the longing he felt.
He started the car and drove out of the airport parking area and headed straight for the hospital. His thoughts of Elizabeth were replaced by worry over his father.

In the Intensive Care unit, his father barely held on to life. Colin stood by his bedside and took his father's hand in his own. The old man's eyes opened and a half-smile appeared. He gave Colin's hand a weak squeeze. "I am glad you made it here, son" he whispered. You know how your mother is. Frantic.Take care of her, Colin." "I will, Da - you know I will - but I'm expecting you to be up and out of here, back home in the rocker..."

His father closed his eyes. "I wish - " A tear rolled down his cheek, and he tried to wipe it away. Colin took a tissue from the box on the stand and wiped it away. "No wishing, now, da - You know Mother wouldn't stand for anything but you getting better!"

His mother came into the room and listened to the exchange of the two dearest men in her life. Colin didn't know yet that his father was scheduled for open-heart surgery in the morning. It was going to be a long day for all of them.

His father drifted into sleep, calmed by the medication and the knowledge that Colin was there with him. In sleep, he dreamed of the banshee's wail and the black coach that was coming for hm. it was a mercy that his wife Meredith and Colin could not see into his dreams.

Leaving him sleeping, Colin and Meredith went out into the ICU waiting room. Colin hugged his mother, telling her it would be all right. "Colin, I didn't tell you this - but he is scheduled for open-heart surgery tomorrow morning. I am so afraid for him." They were seated by the window, and Colin got up, walked over to the window and looked out. "Mother, try not to worry. He will be coming home. He's got a few good years ahead of him yet..."













© Copyright 2007 COUNTRYMOM-JUST REMEMBER ME (UN: countrymom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
COUNTRYMOM-JUST REMEMBER ME has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/530848-CRISIS