*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/548289-WT-Lesson-6-Mystery-2nd-attempt
by IdaLin
Rated: ASR · Book · Educational · #1322799
This is a home for my lessons for the A-1 Academy.
#548289 added November 10, 2007 at 9:51pm
Restrictions: None
WT Lesson 6: Mystery 2nd attempt
The name's Knoll, Lisa Knoll. I'm a private investigator. I'm the girl they call when the cops can't figure stuff out. They can't figure much out usually, so I get a lot of work.

This time was different. I wasn't being asked to go to some dingy hole-in-the-wall to look at some crackhead's skinny corpse. They wanted me to find some old guy's hand. Loads better, yeah.

I sat in the detective's office chewing my fingernail as he told me the story. The old man, Finnaeus Glott, was supposed to be a crackpot. I could have told you that just from the name. He had potions and what they called 'spellbooks' and all the trappings of a genuine nutcase in my humble opinion. The thing that had everybody up in arms was this Hand of Fate. You could hear the capitals when they said it. Seems the old guy died and the Hand went missing. Nobody knows where it is, but it is supposed to be cursed and has to pass ownership to the second son before the next full moon or the sun was going to swallow the earth or something. Yeah, I know, that's going to happen eventually regardless of the second son deal, but I'm not going to remind them of that.

Now why on earth do they think I want to go find something with a curse on it. Oh yeah, I'm broke. So I listen. And I actually learn some useful information. The Hand of Fate is a mummified hand (eew) that is suppposed to give the bearer some kind of edge. As with most mystical stuff, it's all kind of vague and indefinite, but the family's willing to pay handsomely for the return of their grisly trophy. Who am I to argue?

The last person to see the Hand was, I assume, old Finnaeus, but after that, we'll have to do some digging.


IdaLin
** Image ID #1250565 Unavailable **
218143218143
© Copyright 2007 IdaLin (UN: conniefs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
IdaLin has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/548289-WT-Lesson-6-Mystery-2nd-attempt